To go or not to go ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To go or not to go ...

I decided to get my vehicle looked at today ... my regular mechanic was unavailable for another two weeks (I had left a message about 10 days ago; no callback; left a second message and got a callback with that info), so I drove to the Tired Canadian.

I tell them there's a rattling, fluttering noise (last time I heard something similar was on my previous vehicle; a heat shield had come loose and my mechanic told me unless I do lots of highway driving -- which I don't -- it didn't need to be replaced), PLUS my brakes were doing something awful ... everytime I braked, the car would judder, sometimes mildly, sometimes violently. They said they could do a brake inspection immediately. So up on the hoist goes my car.

About 20 minutes later they call me over.

The problem?

THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO FUCKING OIL IN MY CAR.

Not. A. Drop.

We're talking Sahara Desert.

This is, clearly, my own fault -- not disputing that. The rattling noise? The un-oiled engine trying to function.

Mechanic tells me they can do an oil "change" (haha) but any damage done is irreparable. He also says I need new front brakes, to cost about $500.

So I tell them to do the oil "change" (includes new oil filter and who knows what else) but I can't do the brakes now as I need my credit card, which I rarely carry with me. So they do that, I pay (that was a story in itself) and off I drive.

And ... all the way home, my brakes work perfectly. Not a shake, not a shudder. Car stops gently and just sits there.

I was going to take the car back in tomorrow morning for the new brakes. Now I'm not sure I need them. I came home, and then later went out again on some errands ... you wouldn't believe there had ever been anything questionable about the brakes.

I'm thinking of waiting to get in to see my regular mechanic and having HIM look at the brakes.

All thoughts and advice welcome.

Including "HOW THE HELL DID YOU NOT THINK TO CHECK YOUR OIL LEVELS?!?"
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

If you're certain the brakes are in good enough shape that you can drive the car safely, I'd wait for the regular mechanic you know and trust. Also have him/her check on any possible engine damage. For something that potentially pricy, second opinions are a good thing, time and other factors permitting.
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I'd tend to agree with Seanette.

Also, what vehicle do you drive? Usually cars have a "hey, you're running low on oil, might wanna check that" light. I'd be surprised if yours didn't have one. If it did, and it didn't come on, you might want to check the fuse for it.

Check your oil frequently now. Like every two or three days if necessary. If there's damage to the piston walls/rings, or other engine components like the mechanic said, you're likely going to go through oil more quickly.
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

A family member once got a used car that he didn't think much of -- just an A to B econobox dealie, I think it was a 10+-year-old little grey Nissan. He never changed the oil on it -- intentionally -- as he didn't feel it was worth maintaining properly (hey, he didn't have to buy it...and no, he didn't have a way to get another car, and his dad wasn't about to get him another one). One day, after a few months, the motor just sorta shut itself down while he was on the interstate. Fortunately, he had been preparing to take an offramp, so he was in the right-hand lane. He coasted over to the side for safety, popped the hood, and beheld the result of his handiwork: An engine block that had gotten so hot that some of the metal had fused and turned blue, according to him.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

How often did you take your car to your 'regular' mechanic? I'd be wondering how they could miss a thing like that.

EDIT: my mechanic story... car needed a new muffler, I ask family about who I can take it to for good work at a good price. Brother highly recommends 'a guy he knows' that works out of an auto shop, swears by him. Have this guy put the muffler on, work is good for about 2 months, then it starts getting louder and louder. And the temperature gauge is going up faster than it used to. Take it to a muffler shop, they point out the problem (and I'm not a 'car guy' so I don't know the proper terms): the pipe from the engine to the muffler needs to be straight, and the guy who put the muffler in put a joint in it to make it fit. The hot air burned a hole through the pipe at the bend. And the hot gasses from the engine was blowing onto the gas tank. I was driving around in a car that had a higher-than-normal chance of exploding.

Told my brother and he's all "well I'm sure he would have fixed it", but strangely the guy isn't around town anymore.
          Last edited by El Pollo Guerrera; 09-15-2022, 05:20 AM.
          "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Working...
          X