Was this too harsh??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was this too harsh??

So a dealership where I bought my car has contacted me four times via email, plus once over the phone, about "buying" my car back. And each time I've sent them messages telling them I'm not interested. Some were more persistent than others.

I got another one today, and sent them the below. Is it too harsh? Names and dollar values masked...

Hello, Bob.

It appears that I have been contacted three times (I believe this makes #4) over the past couple of months via email about my <car>. I've noted each time that the car is paid off, has less than 30,000 miles on it, and I'm not interested in acquiring car payments again at this time, because if I sold/traded the car, I would need to get another one, and that is not my plan at this time.

A gentleman from your dealership even left a message about it on my answering machine yesterday evening. And based on the link you sent, your records are outdated, because as I have noted, the car is paid off, so I have 0 payments left. Not the <number> your email indicates.

I really mean no disrespect with the below statements.

I very much doubt I would get anything close to Blue Book on it if <dealership> wanted to buy it from me, even though the messages usually indicate the dealership is "very interested" in buying it. Not to mention, <dealership> is about a 50-mile drive for me, and I don't want to waste anyone's time on something we both know is unlikely to happen. Aside from that, I don't really know that the technology has really advanced all that much since I purchased mine.

I could be wrong, but I think I have an idea of how it works. I take my car there, <dealership> assesses the "value" of my car, tells me its "condition" based on whatever criteria (of course, finding things to devalue the car), then gives me about half of blue book value for it. Do I have that about right?

Right now, via KBB, I see a "trade in" value of between $A to $B, with an average of $C. Private Sale has a range of $X to $Y with an average of $Z. I doubt I would be offered anything close to that, because I understand your dealership has to make money as well. I could be wrong.

I understand and appreciate that it is part of your job to reach out to current <car> owners, especially those of us with newer cars. But as I've stated previously, I'm not interested at this time, and besides, the deal would have to be VERY sweet for me to even consider it right now. I'd have to be cut a VERY good deal on not only the "buy back" price (as I noted above), but also the price of the new car and the interest rate.

Because the last thing I want to do is waste my time and yours.

Thanks,

<me>
    ### END ###

So, was that too harsh? I mean, I know I could have just ignored it or simply replied, "No, thank you. I'm not interested." This is like the 4th time, though.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

The very next disturbance should get a rocket labeled "FOAD!"
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
      The very next disturbance should get a rocket labeled "FOAD!"
      Heh...

I'd thought about telling the guy something like this: "If you buy the car back for what I paid for it, and cut me a deal on the interest rate, and let me negotiate price of the new car, I'll think seriously about it."

Because there would still be a difference that I'd have to pay.

LOL...one of their sales staff wrote me back offering me $1,800 less than what I initially paid for the car.
      Last edited by mjr; 03-21-2023, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Nothing is too harsh for persistent telemarketers. My approach is to just ignore such emails, deleting them unread.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
          Nothing is too harsh for persistent telemarketers. My approach is to just ignore such emails, deleting them unread.
          Oh, I should clarify they only really called once. Most of the contact has been through email.

Comment

I get the same thing with real estate. "The market is hot! We can give you a great deal on your house." Then what? I'll have to spend all that (and then some, most likely), to to get basically the exact same thing.

No thank you.

I think that you were more polite than you needed to be. You shouldn't have to tell them "no" more than once.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I concur with Mr C- once no problem,twice maybe, three's pushing it, more than that-you've told them no and they keep repeatedly badgering you, you're well within your rights to tell them to sling their hook somewhere else...
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kittish
                Personally, I think your response should be more along the lines of "I've already told you folks no three times. Stop contacting me about this. I will report the very next attempt to the BBB as harassment. Good day!"
                I think it might be a communication or a "computer log" thing.

One of the people actually emailed me back with an offer of about $1,800 less than I initially paid for the car. And he said it was a "firm" offer. I was actually surprised the offer was that high.

My wife seems to think (and I tend to lean that direction) that it's a "bait and switch" kind of thing, in that they offer me $X, but then I get there and they find things "wrong" with the car, and then say, "Sorry, we can't give you $X, but we can give you $Y (where Y is less than X). Or that they won't negotiate price on a "newer" model, or will hide stuff in fees, etc.

And I tend to agree.

The message I emailed to the guy last night after the offer was this (info masked):

Hi Bob.

While that is quite a generous offer, it makes me wonder just how much "wiggle room" there would be in the price of a new vehicle. And as I said, it seems like the car I have now, in some ways, has better tech.

I'm also really not interested in more car payments. This one's paid off. I'll likely keep it a while.

############

And it's true. The model of car I have has HD radio. The newer model at the same trim level is not only more expensive, but doesn't have HD radio, so that in and of itself is a step down in technology.

So we'll see what happens.

And I did get another call from them at something like 8:57PM last night. I screen my calls, so I let my answering machine pick it up.

LOL...maybe I should tell them if they do a "straight swap" I'll do a deal. That would never work, though.
                Last edited by mjr; 03-22-2023, 01:59 PM.

Comment

When (not if) they pester you again, tell them you'll do a straight swap for the current-year model at the next higher trim level. See if that shuts them up.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    When (not if) they pester you again, tell them you'll do a straight swap for the current-year model at the next higher trim level. See if that shuts them up.
                    Ha! That's funny!

The only flaw in that plan is: "What if they actually call my bluff?"

Although looking at the website for this particular car maker, they don't quite have the EXACT model that I bought. The one that they do have that's the closest to what I have is the "Sport" version. They also have an "L" (leather seat) model. The next model up from that is the "Sport" version of the "L". And I don't know, being I live in Texas, if I actually want leather seats...summer heat and whatnot.

The "Sport" edition is about $4,100 more than what I originally paid for my current car. And the "L" version is almost $6,000 more than what I paid for my current car. The version up from that is a bit more expensive than that.

And that's before taxes and all that jazz.

But honestly, even if I were to negotiate a lower price, I could probably pay it off in 3 months or less anyway, given that I just dumped a BUNCH of money into paying off my current car in about a year.
                    Last edited by mjr; 03-22-2023, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                      ... being I live in Texas, if I actually want leather seats...summer heat and whatnot...
                      Essential Texas automobile accessory: a spatula, to peel passengers off the seats!
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

And not forgetting space for a flag of such dimensions it could actually assist you to take off. Otherwise, how would other road users know you're from the Lone Star State?
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                          The only flaw in that plan is: "What if they actually call my bluff?"
                          You take the new car. Sell it (you might be able to get more than MSRP due to the shortages). Find something more to your liking and pocket the difference.

Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                          Save the Ales!
                          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

What C2 said. ^_^
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I'd say OP was a lot more polite than I'd be about being badgered by salespeople spamming me. The more polite portion of my remarks would include something along the lines of "if you EVER want my business again in any way, shape, or form, LEAVE ME ALONE UNTIL I CONTACT YOU!!!" I'd also be hitting review sites and/or their social media to publish their behavior as a warning to others who might be considering doing business with them.
                              Last edited by Seanette; 03-23-2023, 01:48 PM.
                              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Working...
                              X