Odd/unique copyright question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd/unique copyright question...

Do any of you know anything about US Copyright law?

Years ago my father wrote some poetry. He gave me two poems that he hand-wrote, and one that he typed. They have his name on them, and they're just written on paper. He'd been divorced from my mom when he wrote them. He passed away at the end or 2018.

I've been thinking of publishing them (though I'm not sure how or where), either as poems (don't know how or where) or trying to turn them into songs (which I could probably do myself), but I don't know the implications there as far as copyright goes. I mean, they were his, and they are technically "copyrighted" (though it's not registered) under US law.

I can't ask him, obviously, because he passed on at the end of 2018, so I don't know what to do. I could keep them as keepsakes, and that's something I'm considering, too, but what are the legal/copyright implications here? I do have a sister, but I don't know if she even knows that I have these three poems.

I've thought about typing them up in a really nice font, on some nice paper, and having them printed and framed, as well. I don't know.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by mjr; 07-09-2023, 10:36 PM.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

As his heir, his copyrights now belong to you. Go for it.

I think the copyright term is 75 years after the death of the author.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
    X