Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have any of you ever gotten a trading card graded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have any of you ever gotten a trading card graded?

It doesn't matter what kind. Have any of you ever gotten a trading card graded?

I've got some baseball cards (still in the protective sheets/cases) from the late 1980's and early 1990's that I'm considering getting graded.

Have any of you gone through the process of getting a card graded? Which service did you use? What "grade" did your card(s) get?
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

So I sent in my first card to get graded...it should arrive at the grading service today, and they say their turnaround time is 5-10 business days. So I'll know what grade it received within a couple of weeks (but hopefully sooner). I'm hoping for at least an 8, but tempering my expectations. I looked at it under a flashlight to look for surface imperfections, and the surface of the card looked good. The centering looked good (though not perfect, but there is some +/- allowed in the grading), and the edges looked good. My only concern is the corners, because I didn't look at them under any kind of magnification. I'd LOVE for this particular card to get a 10, but from what I have seen, most of these cards get 8's or 9's with the service I used.

I've got another one prepared. I'm considering using a different service for it, but I haven't decided that yet.

Comment

I have never used the service myself, but I do own several 1960s rock and roll posters that are authenticated and graded by CCG. I bought them that way. They are in sealed envelopes with gradings and attributions and print numbers and so forth.

AFAIK, it is all but impossible to get a 10-graded poster. Even 9.9 is just about unheard of. Then again, these posters are over 50 years old, so that may have a lot to do with it.
      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
        I have never used the service myself, but I do own several 1960s rock and roll posters that are authenticated and graded by CCG. I bought them that way. They are in sealed envelopes with gradings and attributions and print numbers and so forth.

AFAIK, it is all but impossible to get a 10-graded poster. Even 9.9 is just about unheard of. Then again, these posters are over 50 years old, so that may have a lot to do with it.
        I can see it being next to impossible for a poster. From what I understand (and if they're graded the same way cards are), the corners would probably take the biggest hit. They're usually graded on centering, corners, surface, and edges.

Comment

So I got the grade for my card. Part of the end result of the grade is my fault, and if I'd noticed this "flaw" I would have sent in a different card.

The card graded at a 7 (out of 10). I think a major reason for this is that it had a small stain on it that I overlooked when getting it ready to submit.

Comment

Working...
          X