Is tipping done in this situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is tipping done in this situation?

I am going in for day surgery tomorrow. As I will be under general anaesthesia, I won't be able to drive home (DUH). I am taking a local medical transport vehicle to and from the hospital (I could take a taxi to the hospital, but what the heck ... and they do not advise taking a taxi home). This is most definitely NOT an emergency.

Do I tip the drivers? And what do I do if (as likely) I do not get the same drivers for both trips?

Thanks for any advice.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Who is actually operating the service-is it provided by the hospital and the drivers are hospital employees? And will it be a paid journey?
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

It's not an ambulance; it's a private company. And yes, I will be paying for it; it's listed as a "taxi service" for "the infirm and disabled" (I am neither) but its prices are considerably higher than the average taxi service. Their vehicles (vans) are "fully equipped" although it doesn't say with what ... I believe they can transport people in wheelchairs. I don't know if their employees are paramedics ... it doesn't sound like it. They identify themselves as "non-emergency" transportation, so I'm guessing no.
      Last edited by Pixelated; 07-25-2023, 07:41 PM.
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

We used a "Wheelchair Transport" once to take my mother from the nursing home to the doctor. I found it funny that they called it a wheelchair transport when the put you in a gurney.

As you are Canada and this was Texas, your results may vary. It was more than a cab and less than an Ambulance. Two people, driver and attendant. Both were EMT certified, The vehicle looked like an ambulance, but was not equipped. If something happened, they would hit the lights and head to the hospital.

These were highly trained individuals. I doubt that they were Gig employees, So, no tip.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Thanks, all. The driver who picked me up showed up nearly 25 minutes early. I explained that I thought they'd be here at 8 a.m. (not around 7:35 a.m.!) and I'd be down as soon as possible ... translation: as soon as I'd put some clothes on! I'd just stepped out of the shower!

I did tip the guy who took me home ($5) because he made a quick stop on the way so I could fill the prescription for painkillers (that I may not even use). Well, I filled part of it. There was a 'scrip for Ibuprofen and a 'script for ... morphine.

I got the ibuprofen filled. The morphine is in the pharmacy's records, so IF I need it, I can get it.

Then I came home, ordered a shedload of Chinese food for delivery (can't drive until Friday) and absolutely stuffed myself. I was SO hungry. I also ate all four fortune cookies instead of leaving one or two for tomorrow (when I'll eat the leftovers).

One fortune read: "Try deviating from routine this weekend." Already done that, thanks.
          Won't be posting anything about work as I'm off work for at least two weeks. Then I get a checkup from the surgeon who will tell me whether I need to take another week or two off.

Which reminds me ... I must apply for UI tomorrow. Don't know if I'm eligible but I think I am. Anyway, won't know it until I try.
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

You get you some rest. We'll be here, pulling for you

You remind me of my favorite cookie fortune ever: "Ignore previous cookie." At the time, that was incredibly sage advice. I took it.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
            X