All advice welcomed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All advice welcomed

So .. my mechanic called today to inform me my card is DEAD. That's the bad news.

The sorta-good news is that he has a car for sale. He's not really in the business of selling cars but occasionally he will fix up one or two and put them up for sale. I can afford this one, although it will put a huge dent in what's left of my inheritance from my late mother. But ... needs must.

My question: my workplace is cutting hours (yes, right before Christmas. Go figure.) I have a shift on Sunday but to get there will involve a taxi -- probably a $20-$30 trip one-way, and the same back. None of my coworkers live near me, so bumming a ride from one of them is not an option. At minimum wage, this means the costs just to work that shift will pretty much eat up whatever I make that day.

So here's the question: should I just eat the cost and go in? Or call them up, explain the situation, and opt out? I expect to have the new car by early next week and my next shift isn't until later that week, so it'll just be a one-off.

If your hours are getting cut, that could be a sign that you are being pushed out, see also:
    So start looking if you aren't already. Especially WFH.
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Two things to consider:
      Your desire to keep the job
      Your standing with the Bosses

Do you NEED to go in or can you call out?

It is not worth going in if you don't have to.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Perhaps talk to your supervisor, explain the situation, and see if they can find somebody who wants to pick up the additional hours? Tell them you are willing to come in, but are interested in having another employee work your shift. Work gets done, somebody gets a little extra Xmas money, and you don't have to work for free.
        Good luck with the new vehicle! Car problems are always stressful.

Comment

Responding to this:
          1) I'm told a LOT of people are getting their hours cut (and have spoken to a few who are being directly affected, as I am) so I don't think I'm on the verge of being let go. Corporate is notorious for belt-tightening if they see their profits dip even a little ... and with their prices where they are, I suspect their profits are dipping more than just a little. I suspect many customers are buying less, or going elsewhere, or possibly a combination of both.
          2) I did not go in. I called to explain the situation and I gave them plenty of notice so they were fine with it.

I have a new-to-me car and something weird happened at my mechanic's today (from whom I bought the car) but will fill in the details when I get this stupid log-in problem sorted. (It is being looked at; thank you, EricKei. )

Comment

Working...
          X