Opinions sought, when you have time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions sought, when you have time

So I've come to hate this apartment building.
    Bedbugs.
    Mice.
    Cockroaches (though those as just a rumour I've heard ... at least, so far)

AND repeated "outages" of the two elevators. At present the smaller one has been out for three days or so. The larger one went out yesterday as well. I got to walk 14 flights down in order to get to my car to get to work.

It's community housing, not owned by a private company. They keep raising the rent despite the fact the building (IMO) is deteriorating at a steady pace. That elevator situation in particular is -- again IMO -- the most serious. Many of the people in this building use walkers, or mobility scooters. If they go to another floor and both elevators go out, they have to wait who knows how long to get back to their own place. I can use the stairs but ... 14 floors is a bit much, even for me.

So here's the question: I think we are (still) allowed to apply to move to a different floor. IF that's so, I'd be happy to do so. But that doesn't clear up the issue of the vermin. For that, I'd have to take my chances and move to another building entirely. My finances in their current state make that unlikely for another two years or so. Moving to a lower floor would cost me less (there is a $200 charge to switch apartments).

So ... would it make more sense for me to apply for a lower-level apartment, with the costs that would involve? I *might* be able to get that done sooner than I could get my finances straightened out so I can look for another place (depends on how fast a lower-level unit opens up). Or should I just suck it up until I can get out of the building entirely?

Which one do you want to have?
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

There is another option.
      Become a social media sensation, exposing the deplorable conditions and demand they be fixed.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
        Which one do you want to have?
        Honestly, I'd prefer to just leave. I like the other residents, no problems there, but the building's problems are becoming ridiculous. I now take my cellphone with me every time I get on the damned elevator because who knows when it'll break down again.

OTOH, I'm not too crazed about spending another two years here (barring a lottery win), especially on the 14th floor, before I can afford to get out.
        Last edited by Pixilated; 12-25-2023, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          There is another option.
          Become a social media sensation, exposing the deplorable conditions and demand they be fixed.
          I don't think I quite have the personality for that. Maybe I could hire somebody who's already a media sensation and have them come take a look at the place.

Comment

In Chicago (the city proper), tenants are allowed to withhold rent in the amount to bring a rental unit up to code. They have to inform the landlord in writing of that. Even the Chicago Housing Authority (community or council housing) is subject to that ordinance.
            Check and see if your city and province has a similar law. If so, bring on the exterminators--bring the best because someone else is effectively paying.
            If not, make some calls to the building inspectors. Long-term: get your finances in order and get out of there.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
            X