This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College advice?

So I've been an Art ed major/ Eng minor for the last three years. I really didn't start seriously doing the art classes until the last year and a half. The problem? I've gotten to the point where I hate art. I despise going into the studio, I don't want to be there and when some of my sculptures were destroyed by a malfunctioning kiln, I just shrugged my shoulders. I haven't done art for my own personal pleasure in about two years. I feel like I'm barely treading water trying to keep up with the school workload in addition to my part time job and I feel like I barely get to see my fiancee. I'm also worried about job prospects when I graduate (2 years left) as I know several Art ed majors who are currently graduating and panicking about finding a job.

I'm thinking of switching my major and minor. I would still be getting a license to teach, just in English instead of Art. I know I can handle writing papers and my job because at least papers I can write in my pjs instead of going across campus to the studio to work. I'll be able to fit more classes in my schedule (studio classes are 3 hours long, 2x week) so it might mean I can graduate earlier and/or cut out summer school. I'd still kinda worry about finding a job, but its not like they're getting rid of English classes in public schools like they seem to be with Art classes. I student taught in a 6th grade English class through a program with my high school and loved it so that's a plus.

Downside is that I would have to take a foreign language, but even with that I have less requirements than my Art ed major.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out what to do and if I should switch or not. I wondered if it was just burn-out from being in school for so long, but I realized that I paid much more attention to my English class this semester than my three art classes put together.

Sorry its kinda long, but any suggestions or advice are welcome.

I can only tell you about my experience. Going into college I loved science and math. By sophomore year, I hated math. By junior year, I was getting tired of the stress from sciences. I couldn't have wanted anything more than to be done with it. I just stuck with it though and now I'm graduated with my BS in Forensic & Toxicological Chem. I'm glad that I stuck with it. As sick as I became with it all, I think it was more just the non-stop vast amount of work all at once. Had I been able to just do one class at a time, I doubt I would have gotten so sick of it so fast.

So maybe just ask yourself, "Am I sick with art itself or the high intensive studying of it?"
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

This is probably not feasable, but can you take a semester off/a light semester? Even if it's just the summer? Like Green Day said, it sounds like you need to decide if you hate art or hate the work involved in studying art.

I would also think about the difference between what it will be like to teach art vs teaching English. Do you want to grade 100 papers on the same book everyone read? Do you want to grade 100 paintings? I really liked the idea of being an engineer until I got a desk job and realized I despise sitting in one spot, answering emails, all day long.

Comment

I have to agree that it depends on what you want as an end career. College is short, and as much as you may not enjoy taking the classes, you should worry more about what you'd like to do in the long run. Yes, there's slightly more jobs you can get as an English teacher than an art teacher, but I don't think it's a big enough gap in numbers to justify a switch unless you want to switch.

On a personal note - I'm an illustration major right now, and I have to say, I hate some of my classes. They've made me despise doing art for them. But I still enjoy the work I do for jobs on commissions (most of the time) by making it into something that I enjoy. (And I enjoyed my Evolution class more than my art classes this summer, for whatever that's worth). I don't know if you'd be the same way and enjoy teaching more than being in school.

I know that a lot of groups teach art classes for young kids over the summer. If it's possible for you to try and get a summer job doing this or student teaching, then I would encourage that you do that. Maybe you'll realize you like teaching art and just don't like being in classes. Maybe you'll decide you hate teaching period and need to think of a third option. But it's the best way I can think of to test out both before you waste more time on a degree you might not want.

Anyway, I've sort of been there, so if you need someone to vent to or ask advice you're more than welcome to PM me.

Comment

Okay, by all accounts that matter--in other words, yours--switching your major has a whole lot of upside and very little downside. It might bring graduation sooner, it might give you more job prospects, it can relieve some stress in your life, it can give you some more free time, and it can provide you with something you enjoy.

I saw go for the switch. It sounds like all pro and no con.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

I tell undergraduate theatre students that if they can think of anything else that will make them happy, then they should go for it. The arts, even arts education, require a hell of a lot of work and very little tangible reward. You have to love it, live it, breathe it, need it to survive. Otherwise, it's just disappointing.
            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Well I talked it over with my fiancee (who has be wonderfully pushing me through school during the times when I feel like quitting) and my parents (who have done the same, just on a lesser extent). My fiancee has told me repeatedly that he'll support me no matter what, and while my parents would prefer I switch to English, they would support me either way too.

The advice on here was great, and it did make me think a little more about it. But I realized that when I thought about being an English ed major, and not having to take any more art classes, I was so relieved. I do love art and the classes have taught me a lot that I didn't know how to do, but I can't live and breathe it like my classmates would. My thing is that I do art for myself and my own enjoyment and I hate being told what I need to create and when it needs to be done by.

So long story short, I'm switching and am happy with it. Now I just have to finish dealing with a very difficult teacher and life will be good.

Comment

Quoth Indigo View Post
                My thing is that I do art for myself and my own enjoyment and I hate being told what I need to create and when it needs to be done by.
                Kind of how I felt about Political Science. Which was my minor. And that really is what a minor can be, something you like but that you don't want to do professionally. For me, poli sci. For you, art.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Funny thing - one of my art history profs ended up at my register today. My computer happened to freeze and while I was rebooting it, he and I chatted about what we'd been doing. He said he was glad to hear I had finally realized that an art major wasn't for me. Was kinda weird to hear that from him since I took his class when I first became an art major.

Comment

Quoth Indigo View Post
                    He said he was glad to hear I had finally realized that an art major wasn't for me. Was kinda weird to hear that from him since I took his class when I first became an art major.
                    Maybe it would've been nice if he had mentioned this to you while you were taking his class?
                    I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
                      Maybe it would've been nice if he had mentioned this to you while you were taking his class?
                      Nah. I mean, do you really think it would have had any effect? Think about it. You choose your major, and it is something you somewhat enjoy. While you are having a few doubts about it, it is still the major you chose. And then one of your professors tells you that that particular major just isn't for you. Are you really going to listen? Especially if you are 18-23? No, most people (myself included) are going to think, "Fuck off, Prof. Who the fuck do you think you are, you egotistical prick?"

It's just like telling a friend who has a significant other you can see is not right for them. Even though they may be having some doubts about their SO, if you tell them that the person is a sleazebucket, they are going to tell you to go piss up a rope.

In either case, it is something you really have to discover on your own.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Good point.
                        I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Working...
                        X