This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some suggestions

*This stems from problems which I've had when I get to talking with some guy online, and he suggests the idea of meeting......any help would be appreciated*

To give some background detail, I work roughly 40 hours a week, and this is split between two part-time jobs. My work schedule, plus the fact that I have to depend on the bus for transportation, makes it a bit difficult to get out and do things......especially at night. And since I don't often get a lot of time off of both jobs, I like to spend that time doing errands and doing things with my daughter (whom I dont get to see often because she lives with my mom)

I guess where the problem comes in is that the guy always seems to assume that any time I have off work, I would be free to meet up/hang out with him. This gets especially frustrating when he suggests meeting up after work, because I often do NOT feel like doing much of anything then......especially when I've just finished a busy shift at the library. And I often have to remind the guy that I don't drive, and so it's more difficult for me to get around with the way the bus schedule runs.

So, any suggestions on how to handle/deal with this would be much appreciated......it's come to mind because I have an informal date with a guy tomorrow night (I've met him at his job before), and while he seems decent, I just dont know how to explain that meeting up/hanging out isnt always on my top priority list.

I had the same issue with a persistent coworker last year and ended up telling him repeatedly that I was busy and didn't have time. I told him when I'd be available so I could meet him halfway, and we worked around it. I'd just keep reminding him that you do have other things going on in your life and you can't always hang out with him first thing after work.

"When your deepest thoughts are broken, keep on dreaming, boy; when you stop dreaming it's time to die" -- Blind Melon

Comment

Totally workable. "I have a full work schedule and I am reliant on public transportation, but we could meet up on (date) or (other date)." You really shouldn't have to lay out your full schedule or explain your time to someone you're just going on a a date or two anyway - give them two or three options of times that would work for you, and then let them pick. If you start seeing someone more often, hash out scheduling issues then.

Comment

I agree...figure out what times are good for you and suggest them. Give him two or three to choose from....kinda like letting little kids make decisions - "do you want this or that?" is a lot better than an open-ended "what do you want?"
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Thanks much for the responses! The guy whom I'm meeting up with tomorrow isn't really the problem, just that I've had issues in the past with guys getting upset/angry because I wasn't able or willing to give up things to hang out with them, so I'm trying to come up with diplomatic ways to handle things.

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
            I've had issues in the past with guys getting upset/angry because I wasn't able or willing to give up things to hang out with them, so I'm trying to come up with diplomatic ways to handle things.
            Let me see if I have this straight. These guys get upset and/or angry because you are not willing to give up things that are important to you or rearrange your priorities in order to have the privilege of going out with them?

To self-important guys like this, I don't think you should bother with anything more diplomatic than a hearty "FUCK YOU!" and the click of a phone hanging up.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              Let me see if I have this straight. These guys get upset and/or angry because you are not willing to give up things that are important to you or rearrange your priorities in order to have the privilege of going out with them?

To self-important guys like this, I don't think you should bother with anything more diplomatic than a hearty "FUCK YOU!" and the click of a phone hanging up.
              Well, to be fair, most of the guys whom I might to online don't react that way, just that when they do, it seems especially nasty. One example being a guy whom I encountered a few years back in one of the local Yahoo Chat rooms - let's just say I filled out a "Chat Abuse" form on him because he made really inappropriate comments about my relationship with my daughter, since I wouldn't cancel plans with her to meet up with him for "NSA sex". (don't think Yahoo ever did anything, but it made me feel better)

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
                Well, to be fair, most of the guys whom I might to online don't react that way, just that when they do, it seems especially nasty.
                Oh, I didn't think that ALL of them did that. But the ones who do? Fuck them with a barbed wire wrapped chainsaw. Sideways. In slow motion. With GUSTO!

I hate idiot guys. Hate hate hate. They make me look bad just because we share the fact of having testicles. Bastards.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                X