This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop cats climbing up a tree?

We have this MASSIVE tree in our backyard. Important note: it is also towards the end of winter.

Anyway today Oscar our younger furball, decided to climb up a tree. Why? Because the birds were teasing him. Only problem was when he couldn't get down. We contemplated getting the ladder from our neighbour when he jumped down by himself. I'm a little worried as he was out of arms reach even when I was standing on a bench. He jumped from the branch he was standing on right down.

So is there a way I can stop him from climbing up the tree again?
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Not really unless you want to declaw him, and if he spends any amount of time outside that would be a bad idea.

Growing up we had two cats, my cat was a great climber, she could gut up anywhere and always found her way back down. Her sister wasn't quite so gifted, she generally could get halfway up a tree, freak out about being so high, and then we would have to get her. The last time she did this she ended up being up there a while as we didn't have a ladder high enough. A fire truck came out but they couldn't get to the tree cuz it was slightly in the woods. So after trying to get her down for about 4 hours we had to cut the tree. She was fine, obviously a little upset at the whole ordeal, and I guess she finally figured out that we couldn't always magically get her from anywhere as from then on she never went higher than she could easily jump down.

In other words cats are like kids, unfortunately you can’t protect them form everything and sometime they just have to learn things the hard way. Thankfully they are resilient and are quite good at landing on their feet.

Comment

Cut the tree down
      Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Fairly sure that declawing is illegal here since my old boss wouldn't/couldn't do it. Try doing the same as what you would with possums: nail a 60cm wide sheet metal collar around the trunk of the tree, just higher than the cat can or will be able to jump in the future and then trim any branches below that.
        Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Quoth Mishi View Post
          Fairly sure that declawing is illegal here since my old boss wouldn't/couldn't do it. T
          Declawing is a horrible practice anyways.

Also,

Only problem was when he wouldn't get down
          Cats are famous for this. I ccaaaaaaannnnntttttttt. My cat can scale 2 stories to my apartment to get in at night, but OH GOD HES TRAPPED on the first floor balcony ledge and just CANT get down. I left him there. Low and behold, he was waiting at my front door, after climbing down, about an hour later.

Comment

Quoth Mishi View Post
            Fairly sure that declawing is illegal here since my old boss wouldn't/couldn't do it. Try doing the same as what you would with possums: nail a 60cm wide sheet metal collar around the trunk of the tree, just higher than the cat can or will be able to jump in the future and then trim any branches below that.
            Thanks I'll let my dad know to get something like that and to just wrap the branches. I considered something like what they have at Adelaide Zoo (really thick pieces of plastic) but the cats can still dig their claws in.

Yes, declawing is illegal down here (thankfully), although I think my mum's gonna trim his claws now after that. Oscar's older brother, Mitchell (also a brat) has also been known to climb up the same tree.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Trimming a cat's claws isn't too hard if you can catch them when they're sleepy and if they're used to being handled by you. Just be very sure not to cut the quick, which is the little vein that runs into the claw. If you nick it at all, it will hurt the cat (and bleed like crazy) and make it a lot harder to do the job in the future since the cat will associate you handling their paws with pain.

Comment

Get a Peddy-Paws
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I was *almost* thinking of getting Pedi Paws for my kttehs, but I haven't read good reviews. If I ever see em in clearence, I'll get one.

I do want to get get soft paws for my cats...I think Morgan would look great in Blood Red (she is evil and like to draw blood on male humans) and Pink for Riley (he had pink bandages after his surgey, and I laughed at him, he look so miserable.)
                  "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                  "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

My parents got an Emery board for Baby. She rarely uses it though, despite my parents coating the damn thing in the catnip it comes with.

They won't declaw her because she's getting too old now, yet they keep throwing fits that she tore up all the old furniture and now she's taken to scratching their wooden hutch.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Get some apple bitter.

Comment

Working...
                      X