X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Voice mail. . .

Hey all,

I just received a call from an unknown number. I always let it go to voice mail. Well, when I checked the message it was from a Paul Norris. He said that a friend of mine told him to call me but that was it! He stated his name again, repeated his number twice and reiterated that a friend of mine told him to call me.

I feel like this is really sketchy. I think I should just ignore the message...

Does anyone know if this is some sort of scam or something?

Thanks in advance!
    When Angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel.

did you google the phone number?
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Yeah the number brought up nothing and his name is pretty common so I think I will just ignore it. Couldn't have been that important lol
      When Angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel.

Comment

Why not just call it back? Its not like they don't already have your phone number. If it sounds sketchy, hang up.

Comment

Do you have any hobbies or talents that you sometimes sell things you make or do?

Like, I don't know, --photography
          Make a list of important things to do today.
          At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
          Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

It sounds VERY fishy to me. Why wouldn't he say what it's about, or which friend told him to call you? Probably a scammer of some kind. They're everywhere.

If it's legit, he'll call back.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

If he had a legit reason he would have said WHY your friend said to call him. I vote sales pitch......
              There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

If its a scam he'll call back. Just call the phone number. He can't steal your soul/identity/information over the phone line unless you give it all to him. Its probably an MLM pitch. maybe hes just one of those people who doesn't like phone. My voicemails are tant amount to "Hey, its Whiskey, call me back. bye."

Comment

Is it a 7-digit number or a 10-digit (including area code)? If it's 7 digits, you're fairly safe calling (unless it's 976-xxxx). If 10, it could be a scam. There are some places (including the Caribbean) which are part of the North American 10-digit system, but which offer the use of their phone numbers to "premium" services (places that normally use 900-xxx-xxxx or 976-xxxx numbers). You can wind up with a nasty surprise when you get your next bill, with what looked like a normal number having a high per-call (or per-minute) charge.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Is it a 7-digit number or a 10-digit (including area code)? If it's 7 digits, you're fairly safe calling (unless it's 976-xxxx). If 10, it could be a scam. There are some places (including the Caribbean) which are part of the North American 10-digit system, but which offer the use of their phone numbers to "premium" services (places that normally use 900-xxx-xxxx or 976-xxxx numbers). You can wind up with a nasty surprise when you get your next bill, with what looked like a normal number having a high per-call (or per-minute) charge.
                    A lot of places use 10-digit dialing, though. My area's been using it for years.

And Whiskey - I hear ya on the leaving messages...I hate it. The only time I ever wished for voice mail was when calling orders at the bookstore. Then I had a script so I knew exactly what I was going to say, and I didn't have to actually talk to the customer.
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Generally they also come up on google if its one of those scam phone numbers. See if they call back I guess. The mystery remains.

Comment

Do NOT call that number. At best, it's some asshole selling Amway or something else. At worst, it's a scammer who is going to tell you your "friend" is in trouble and needs to you wire money.

It could be some d-bag collection agency trying to harrass one of your friends or relatives through you.

Just google the number and see what you get.

Hell, it could simply a bot on an autodialer trying to get people's cell numbers. You call back or pick up, it's a confirmed live number.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                          Just google the number and see what you get.
                          He already did that. Nothing came up. Its someone local, probably MLM like I (and you) said before. or just someone who doesnt leave voicemails.

Comment

People who don't leave voicemails are dead to me.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                              People who don't leave voicemails are dead to me.
                              I see how it is, hater.

Comment

Working...
                              X