This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepping For A Medical Screening

Not this coming Friday, but next Friday, I have a free medical screening at work.

This will include blood work for cholestrol/blood sugar/glucose, body fat measurement, waist to hip ratio, blood pressure reading.

Now, I'll be at work, most lkely my blood pressure will be through the roof because I will be homicidal, despite every time I go to the clinic, it's totally normal and healthy.

We weren't given any information. I don't know if I need to fast or if I can eat anything. It will be at 5 am, I will be working 9pm until 7am that night. When can I eat beforehand if I have to fast for any amount of time?

Edit to add: My cholestrol/thyroid test in May was unexpected and last minute, and I had eaten a normal "lunch" at 3 am that morning and had eaten cereal and probably some toast or something before my appointment, which was before 9 am, and the results were all normal.
    Last edited by blas; 08-18-2010, 03:41 PM.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Typically they want you to fast for at least 8 hours minimal beforehand.

Seeing as it's bloodwork, it's best to fast or it'll be different then normal.

Water is fine.
    Military Spouse Support.
    http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
    Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Yeah 8 hour fast for blood work. My distrustful side wonders, if you get health insurance, if they'll use the results of this "free screening" to disqualify you for care later if something unrelated (but can be associated) happens later. :\
      Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

I already have health insurance, it's open enrollment time, and if you take this free health screening, they are offering a few bucks off of your premium.

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
          I already have health insurance, it's open enrollment time, and if you take this free health screening, they are offering a few bucks off of your premium.
          They aren't going to ding you in any way for being a smoker are they?
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I'm not a pro with HIPPA, but I'd assume because I had a prescription written for me a year ago for Chantix and every Pap I get asked if I keep smoking (because both my doc and the gyno think that smoking contributes to cervical problems) and I say yes.

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
              I'm not a pro with HIPPA, but I'd assume because I had a prescription written for me a year ago for Chantix and every Pap I get asked if I keep smoking (because both my doc and the gyno think that smoking contributes to cervical problems) and I say yes.
              I just get nervous about these things...with the news all over about places that are charging extra for those who smoke on their health insurance. Some people have to pay an extra 25 dollars or more a month just because they are a smoker.
              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

You are supposed to fast for at least 8 hours prior to bloodwork, especially if they're checking your blood sugar levels (for diabetes, etc.) but...you said it's toward the end of your overnight shift, right? And you work in a warehouse? Lifting and carrying and doing physical stuff? Seems backwards to me. There's no way that I'd go the entire shift without eating something, but then, I tend to get horrible headaches if I'm doing physical activity on an empty stomach, even if I have water.

Comment

My job isn't very physical, no one is allowed to lift over a certain weight limit, and my job is mostly standing up all shift and walking around a lot. I do get to sit on break and every once in a while when I have to look at something closer.

I really need to get one of those pedometers or whatever they are called.

I can't fathom going all night without eating, either. I may just load up before I go to work. The thing is, I can't stay full to save my own life. I'm hungry again very soon because I work out so much. I don't think I'd call it a fast metabolism because I'm still not at a weight I'd like to be, but everything I eat literally goes right through me (not in an unhealthy way, but I'm rarely satisfied for long after eating).

Comment

The best time to get a blood sugar bloodtest done is right after you wake up for the day from your extended rest (usually in the early morning after having been asleep all night, but obviously this is different for third shifters.) You'll have naturally "fasted" overnight and if you can go an hour or two before eating breakfast you can get the bloodtest done right away. Like I said, having it done toward the end of a full day's work is backwards. It would be like the rest of us getting it done at 4 in the afternoon and being expected to go without lunch if they want us to be fasting. I don't know how much trouble or money it would be to look in to getting at least that part of the test done at a different time that makes more sense, but that's what I'd do.

Comment

8 hour minimum fast for most of those blood tests.
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Is there someone in HR you can ask?

I wouldn't recommend going all shift without eating (I would probably pass out at some point if I tried that...or at least be very cranky)...maybe a light meal at lunch (or whatever you call it in the middle of the night) and then don't eat until after the screening?
                        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I can't really work around it because it's only available certain hours. I'm the very first appointment that morning.

I'm sure I will break down and eat. Hey, it's free, at least I'm not paying to fudge up the results.

Comment

Unless you have something potentially serious (undiagnosed diabetes, sky-high cholesterol) not having fasted for a full 8 hours probably won't skew the results too much. A few hours will likely be fine...and if they do find something really off they'll likely refer you to a regular doc to follow up, anyway.
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Just let them know that you have eaten and how long ago it was, and you'll be fine.
                              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Working...
                              X