This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the Correct Action?

I ordered some buttons to sell at a convention in a couple weeks. I got the tracking number last Wednesday, but it hadn't been updated or delivered. So after a week, I email the company asking if it had been mailed (might have been overlooked), and also mentioning I had included my current address on my rush order form, but according to the confirmation email, it was being sent to my old address.

This morning, I checked the tracking number, and it had just been mailed. Good and dandy. Then I get a response from the company acknowledging their mistake, saying they will send a NEW batch of buttons 2-day shipping.

Here's the thing: I know the people at my old address. They are my grandparents. I could go across town to pick up the package even though my car is old and dying, Really, I was more concerned about whether my order had been mailed at all.

So basically I've got 2 sets coming. My first instinct is to just explain that I was able to get both, and ask for an invoice for the second set, and just pay for the lot. Otherwise, that's 150 buttons going to waste. Only problem is I don't really have $50 to get a second set, and I'm not sure I can sell what I ordered anyway. So I might end up with a mess-load of buttons and nothing to do with them.

What's anyone think? Just buy them, which seems the proper thing to do, or have my family do Return to Sender on the original shipment?
    "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

if possible have family do return to sender if you really cannot afford to pay for the second set OR would not be able to sell them

Comment

You are under no obligation to buy the second set of buttons. They made the mistakes (sounds like a couple of them) and shipping out the second set, 2nd day, is their way of making it up to you.

Sounds like you are dealing with a good company. Remember that the next time you order buttons.

I would ask if they want one set of the buttons returned or the shipment refused. They may have value to the company. If they say no, take both sets and think about selling them cheaper. You may sell more.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Just do a return to sender like someone else said. Or you can call them up and see if theyll send you a shipping label from their company so you can have them shipped back on their dime.
        Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
          Or you can call them up and see if theyll send you a shipping label from their company so you can have them shipped back on their dime.
          This is what I'd do. At the mail order company I used to work for, we would occasionally get customers who ended up with 2 orders (usually because they would call us after the standard shipping time frame stating they didn't get their order, so we'd re-ship it, and then the first order would show up a day or two later) and we would happily send them a shipping label to send one order back. Especially because the company sent the first order to the wrong address, it is completely their responsibility to get the items back if they want them, and they should send the label directly to your grandparents. Since you don't live there anymore, you should not have to go across town, pick up the package, and re-ship it back to them.

If I'm not mistaken, asking for a label will actually be less hassle and less money for the company in question, because they'll 1) have a record showing that they should be expecting the order back, rather than just getting a random order returned with no RA and 2) they probably have some kind of contract with a major shipping company that gives them a break on shipping and/or return orders. At my company, our major contract was with FedEx, so when we needed pre-paid labels we'd get them through FedEx and it was cheaper than if the recipient tried to send it back themselves or refuse delivery.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

I did email the company shortly after posting this stating that I could still get them. Probably not necessary, but heck, I'd want someone to tell me.

They hadn't started making the next set yet, so it's all good. ^^
            "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
            X