This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to deal with someone who is always late/slow

This is part looking for advice but mostly just ranting/venting, since I don't think there is much advice to be given in this situation. But if anyone does have any suggestions, I'm all ears!

My husband has a co-worker, K. I've talked about (and complained about) K before, both here and on Fratching. He's part of our D&D group, and every single time we (or anyone else) gets together with him, for ANYTHING (going to dinner, or a movie, or getting together for D&D, anything), he is ALWAYS late. I've known him for several years now (ever since my husband and I started dating) and he has never once been on time to anything. I think the closest he's been is 15-20 minutes late, and he is frequently 40-60 minutes late for get-togethers and has been as late as two and a half hours.

It absolutely infuriates me, and my husband. We are very punctual people. We like to be on time. We don't get pissy with our other friends when they're up to half an hour late for D&D...there's traffic, or you get up late, or whatever. No big deal. Plus they usually don't make a habit of being late every single week. But when K is consistently, every single week, an hour or more late... it is really starting to grate on our nerves. It's even worse when we make plans to go out to dinner with him; we'll get to the restaurant at, say, 6, which is when we planned to meet. K will show up at 6:30...maybe. For that half hour, we wait, and we wait, and we wait, and we don't order, and we keep the wait staff waiting as well, and it makes me, personally, feel like an ass for holding up a table for half an hour.

When I invite him over to our house for dinner, I don't bother waiting for him; if everyone else has arrived and is hungry, we eat, and if K shows up 45 minutes later and the food is cold, well, he has to heat it up in the microwave if he wants it hot.

My husband is especially annoyed with him today, because K apparently took over an hour to eat lunch. My husband and K, and usually a fairly large group of people from where they work, will go out to lunch together a few times a week. Their work is really lenient about lunch hours and even when everyone comes in in the morning (they're all salaried so as long as they work at least 40 hours a week and get all their work done, the company doesn't really care how long they take for lunch or when they come in in the morning. The managers generally want everyone in by 9am at the latest, but K usually shows up around 10am or later; something I really wish his manager would buckle down on, since it might make him more punctual in general if he had to actually be in to work at a certain time.)

Anyway, so today they went to lunch and apparently K sl-ow-ly picked over his food for an hour before he decided he was finished. (including travel time to and from their company, they were gone an hour and 45 minutes.) Everyone else had long since finished and were waiting for him; my husband was pissed by the time they actually left, because the longer they take for lunch, the longer he has to stay past 5pm to get all of his work done that he could've been doing if they had gotten back sooner.

I asked my husband why he and his co-workers don't just leave K at the restaurant if he wants to take so long to eat (seriously, it's what I would do if I went to lunch with him as often as they did, and he always takes the longest to eat out of everyone.) They all car pool, so I suggested they tell K to bring his own vehicle since he always takes the longest. Husband said that he would be willing to tell K that, but the rest of his co-workers wouldn't go for it; he said they're "too nice." So instead, they all get to sit there for an extra half hour waiting for one person to pick at his food.

I don't know how to handle this situation. I don't even know if it's possible to do so. We have told K, repeatedly, in varying degrees of niceness, how annoyed and upset we get when he is constantly late to functions (we really lost it with him the one time he was two and a half hours late coming over to our place for lunch and D&D.) He just. does. not. get. it. One of the other guys in the D&D group says that he's known other people like this, who just cannot be on time to anything ever to save their lives. He says they're just..."wired" that way. No matter what you say or do (letting the food get cold if he's late coming over for dinner, starting D&D without him and him missing out on loot and experience for all the time he's gone, etc.) they will always be late. You can't change it.

I really want to kick him out of our D&D group, but I think we're all too nice for it (I would if everyone else in the group would get behind me, but the other guys are kind of like "well, whatever, he's not really hurting anything by being late"...which is kind of true, because even when he is there, he doesn't actually do anything. Seriously, he's one of the worst role players I have ever met...)

And he's so nonchalant about it too. "Oh, well, sorry I'm late, traffic was bad" is his normal excuse. When he's an hour late. And we meet at the same time, at the same place, every week. Seriously, you would think that if traffic is bad at noon every Sunday going the route you go to get somewhere, that you could learn to leave half an hour earlier to get there on time. But no. Not K. Still late every week. Still blaming it on traffic.

I swear he has the IQ of a rock.
    Last edited by MaggieTheCat; 09-17-2010, 06:56 PM.

Tell him everything is starting/happening an hour earlier than it is.
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

I don't understand people who are always late like that .....how hard is it to follow a damn clock?

I am generally early to everything.....I hate holding people up and I sure as hell respect my job enough to not be late to it!
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

This bugs me the most as well. It shows a lack of respect for the others in the group. I would cut him out completely. It's bringing down the rest of you and makes it tougher to enjoy the get togethers.
        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
          Tell him everything is starting/happening an hour earlier than it is.
          No, seriously it works.

I have a friend like this, well... maybe not quite this bad, but still - I'll be there around 7 really means, I'll be leaving my house 45 mins south of town at 7 and still have to fight traffic through town to get to your place by 9-930.... So when I had a Girls Night Out party for my birthday, I made sure his wife knew that I WAS NOT KIDDING about what time our reservations were...

Another friend used to be kinda like this.... we started calling it T-Time... she used to run about 30 mins late - so we'd tell her 1200-1230 if we wanted her there between 1230-100, it worked.... she has since mostly "grown" out of this, and now lets us know when she'll be late... but she just turned 40, so i guess responsibility has finally sunk into her head...

as far as lunch goes - if nobody else wants to tell K to take his car, maybe your husband can take his - and do the, "checks watch, oh, well i hate to do it guys, but i told the wife i'd be home early tonight, so i'm gonna head back to the office" thing after making sure to settle up his portion of the bill (if they don't split cks)
          I am well versed in the "gentle" art of verbal self-defense

Once is an accident; Twice is coincidence; Thrice is a pattern.

http://www.gofundme.com/treasurenathanwedding

Comment

One of my friends is like this - drives me crazy! Always late...if she even shows up at all! So disrespectful.
            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
              So disrespectful.
              Yeah, this is what gets me. It's disrespectful...and selfish. K, and people like him who are always late, and basically saying, "I'm going to do things my way and on my clock and I don't care about anyone else's schedule."

I am really tempted to not invite K the next time I DM a game (there are three of us who take turns DMing D&D games.) My husband says he doesn't blame me and is all for it, but I am slightly concerned about how K will react to my husband at work. K is whiny and juvenile as it is (he whines when his character dies or when we don't do something he suggests in-game...usually because his suggestions are always "Let's burn it with fire" no matter what the situation is.) I am worried that K will somehow take it out on my husband if I start excluding him in our social functions. They do have to work closely together, and I wouldn't put it past K to be whiny and unhelpful at work, enough to make my husband annoyed and miserable but not enough to make the managers actually do anything about it.

Comment

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
                They do have to work closely together, and I wouldn't put it past K to be whiny and unhelpful at work, enough to make my husband annoyed and miserable but not enough to make the managers actually do anything about it.
                Bottom line: He is disrespectful of everyone else, and yet everyone is worried about offending him.

He whines and is unhelpful because it works for him. Everyone around him who tolerates it just doesn't enable that behaviour -- they reward it.

The choice comes down to who is running your life: you, or him. In my world I don't tolerate that crap. Look at it this way: every hour you spend waiting on him is an hour that you are closer to being dead. It's not like you get that hour back on the other end... once it's gone you aren't every going to get it back.

The reason everyone goes along with waiting is herd-mentality. Whoever takes the initiative is running the herd... and right now everyone is letting Mr. Pokey be in charge.

So when it is time to go to lunch -- go at that time. If an hour was allowed for eating -- go back to work at that time. If the other people want to walk, well, they can walk!
                There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

We have a friend like this, always about 10-15 min late and when he had to pick up another of our gamer friends it jumped to 30-45 min. we got to the point of calling it GST - Gamer Standard Time... everything started late... we tried the food thing, and the false start time. one thing that worked, for a while, was just start playing without him and make him try to catch up to the action (including what has been done to HIS char) on his own (no free recaps)

as for the work issues, other than leaving him behind to finish at his own pace all by himself... call over a waitress and have his lunch "doggy-bagged" and drag him out.

seems rude but then so is being late, even more so making others late.
                  It's a tough row to hoe, and I'm just the Joe to hoe it.

Comment

Quoth TheMike View Post
                    as for the work issues, other than leaving him behind to finish at his own pace all by himself... call over a waitress and have his lunch "doggy-bagged" and drag him out.
                    That's what I was thinking. When the server brings the check ask to have his plate bagged up whether he likes it or not.

If you're at a restaurant and he's more than 10 minutes late, order without him. Stop waiting on him and he'll either miss out or start showing up earlier. Don't apologize for it, either.
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
                      Husband said that he would be willing to tell K that, but the rest of his co-workers wouldn't go for it; he said they're "too nice." So instead, they all get to sit there for an extra half hour waiting for one person to pick at his food.
                      Heres one thing I learned very early. The driver makes the rules. If everyone is waiting on one person, who refuses to get a to go box, then that person is catching a cab/the bus back to work. If he starts fussing at work, tell your supervisor exactly why hes fussing. he continually makes staff late back from lunches by showing up late/taking an inordinate amount of time to eat and refusing to take it to go or to drive his own vehicle so you excluded him so he could get back to work in a reasonable amount of time to WORK.

If your husband has a boss with half a brain, he'll tell K to shut his pie hole. If your coworkers are "too nice" to say anything, can hubby just say "I'm gonna take my car from now on, you guys can carpool with K" ? Surely his exasperated coworkers would understand why and not be upset.
                      Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

I have some relatives like this. I just started gradually excluding them from events, or doing ones with hard start/end times such as movies. Either they show up and don't complain (if you complain at me you get the look of "I don't care, go die") or they don't. When the relatives continued to be a pain about things, and complaining about MY behavior to them, I excluded them from my life. I would answer their calls or emails, but not super-friendly. If they asked why they weren't invited to something (such as my wedding) I told them it was because they didn't respect me, so I figured they weren't interested in my life.

They shaped up really quick.
                        Hopefully this works for you, otherwise K is going to have to learn to grow up, quick.
                        Oh wook at teh widdle babeh dwaggin! How cyuuute babeh dwag-AAAAAAAUUUGGGHHHH! *nom*
                        http://jennovazombie.deviantart.com

Comment

I will admit I'm bad about being late, I'm really bad at noticing one little thing that needs to be done before I leave and than another and another, all of which each only take a minute to do but that adds up and I am generally late by about 10-15 minutes. I am not this way for anything that I do on a regular basis because the crazy running around is built into my routine and I am not this way for anything that I have been planning for a while because I know how I am about last minute things and if I know well enough in advance I make sure that check all of those sorts of things the night before, that I get up early and check everything before I go to work, and that I once again check everything when I get home from work. I am just mostly late for stuff like getting called up to meet someone for dinner/drinks/whatever the day of.

Still I can't imagine being more than 15 minutes late without profusely apologizing and a good reason. Holding people up that you carpooled with is a major no-no, if you are at a meal and you are just taking longer than usual then it is okay to ask “do you mind if I finish this or would you rather I get a box?” but even so that would get you about a 15 minute grace period and can only be used every now and then.

Comment

I have a friend that is late to everything. One time I was driving her to a doctors appointment and she was over an hour late. She did not care that the doctor was waiting for her. She was pregnant and had diabetes and the doctor told her he waited for her because he was concerned about her health but if she did it again he would drop her as a patient. I got to her house a hour before the appointment and she was not ready just because she was being lazy all morning.

When we were kids her mom would pick her up from school a half hour late most of the time. Her mom is late to everything just because she gets ready late and my friend is the same way.

I would not include your friend in your activities anymore because it seems like he has an attitude that you all will wait for him and if not then you will accommodate him. Put all the food away when he finally arrives. Don't give him the chance to even warm it up. You shouldn't have to stress about this guy being late. When he sees that people won't put up with it he might realize how inconsiderate he is being.

Comment

I second (third, fourth, whatever) what Whiskey said about giving him a false start time that's an hour earlier than intended. If that doesn't work for whatever reason, start the game ON TIME. And make sure his character is tagging along in the background, and have horrible, HORRIBLE things happen to him. Oh, no, don't kill him off...but use the most twisted and evil parts of your brain to push his buttons. I'd do it. But I'm evil like that.

And if you're DM'ing that week, your rules. Just don't invite him. If he's gonna be that much of a baby about it, sweetly remind him that he's still invited to two other campaigns not run by you. I really like what was said earlier in this thread about not letting him run your life because you're worried about his reaction, because he's obviously not caring about other people himself. He may pitch a fit for a while, but I guarantee he'll find something else to whine about and forget about it within a few weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X