X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would I answer this?

Soooooooooo...

I'm maybe thinking about looking for a new job.

This will be the first time I've looked for a job while still being employed.

When I'm asked (either when applying or being interviewed) why I'm willing to leave the place I'm at, what's a nice way of saying that I want to leave for any combination of
    • not being treated like an adult
    • the job has driven me to drink
    • they consistently purposely schedule us to be short handed

and other things?
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

You could say you feel your specific skill set isn't being utilized to its potential at <old job> and that somewhere like <new job> would be a better fit.

Thats assuming youre not going from grocery store to another grocery store, or something similar.

Or, if you actually like the company youre applying at, simply say that.

"I heard <company> donated back to the community at <x event>, and I would love to work for a company that is involved in its local community to that extent"

Never talk negatively about an old job. It doesn't matter if they railroaded you. Its the same reason you don't talk about exboyfriends to potential new boyfriends. You're vague as hell. "Oh yeah we dated for X amount of time and we grew apart, developed different life goals" when in reality that motherfucker railed your sister and your best friend on your kitchen table.
    Thou shalt not take the name of thy goddess Whiskey in vain.

Comment

Quoth Whiskey View Post
      "

Never talk negatively about an old job. It doesn't matter if they railroaded you. Its the same reason you don't talk about exboyfriends to potential new boyfriends. You're vague as hell. "Oh yeah we dated for X amount of time and we grew apart, developed different life goals" when in reality that motherfucker railed your sister and your best friend on your kitchen table.
      +1
      "This job would be great if it wasn't for the f***** customers." - Randell 'Clerks'

Comment

Tell them that you are looking for better opportunities.

I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

"I feel as if I've grown professionally, and I'm looking for a company to continue to grow with."

I used that once.
          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I've used the potential line, but because I'm studying, I've gone further and pointed out that the skills I need aren't the ones I'm getting (I want to teach)
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Thanks!!!!

This sucks, like I've said, I've never looked for a job while actually having one already, so I'm nervous and all that.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
              X