X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• as red as a fire truck in skin tones

not me but my daughter
    my question is what can i do when she gets this way? I know what caused it the last two times and the best solution i could do was give her a bath with or without johnson and johnson's baby foaming soap and very carefully pat her dry and slather her in eucarin calming lotion except her groin area, i used boudreaux's butt paste as it leaves little to no residue instead

and when i say broke out i mean from head to groin area like it was a mini jumpsuit with the legs cut off as if they were daisy dukes and little hives all over that almost were white. (in which if her skin were not read would look like flea bites i guess)

the bath and lotion stuff sort of works but it takes four hours if not longer for her skin to return to normal color this last time i had to lay her down to bed in nothing but a diaper on her softest blanket and pray nothing else hurt to the touch.

EDIT:
    all KNOWN allergies/skin issues
    dairy
    food dye

has dermatitis behind her ear and have cream for that

use purex hypo allergenic or baby version of purex when i can find it. she does well with that or tide Hypo allergenic or cold wash version
    i use fabric softener sheets with lavender and johnson and johnson foaming body soap for her baths or dove sensitive skin soap

the latest that i fed beyond her soy formula and single food baby jars was the veggie poofs version of the gerber graduates cheese poofs and animal crackers and
    the only other snack food she has are the mum mums regular and veggie version and puffs
    Last edited by Midnight12; 11-22-2010, 12:59 AM.

I'd ask a doc about that. That sounds extreme.

I have used cortizone creme with pretty good results.

I would try to let her go without a diaper as much as possible to let that area air out.

Comment

she has since returned to normal baby skin tone colors this morning. i had her diaper on lose when it was red.

pediatrician appointment tomorrow with all the containers of food that i gave her from yesterday except the pizza box
      at worst it was a reaction to the cheese even though the tiny piece of crust i gave her had none on it, or whatever they put in the dough
      will send hubs out to get cortizone

Comment

Sounds like allergies / contact dermatitis. Maybe to the laundry detergent or some scent into it as that's a common thing kids can become allergic to, and it would cover those parts of the body if it's only where she's had clothes on her. Take her to a doc, and if you changed any laundry stuff or bathing stuff recently tell them just in case it is that. Hope you get it figured out because it sounds painful!

Comment

ok let me cover all basis. and adding it to first post

all KNOWN allergies/skin issues
          dairy
          food dye

has dermatitis behind her ear and have cream for that

use purex hypo allergenic or baby version of purex when i can find it. she does well with that or tide Hypo allergenic or cold wash version
          i use fabric softener sheets with lavender and johnson and johnson foaming body soap for her baths or dove sensitive skin soap

the latest that i fed beyond her soy formula and single food baby jars was the veggie poofs version of the gerber graduates cheese poofs and animal crackers and
          the only other snack food she has are the mum mums regular and veggie version and puffs
          anytime she drops her paci its immediately washed off or sterilized again under hot water
          all the way down to luvs diapers and butt paste as desitin leaves a residue that she doesn't like and sensitive skin wipes

Comment

Adding cause of your update - I'm actually allergic to a lot of laundry stuff that's scented - even if it says safe for babies or hypoallergenic. Some people are just super sensitive. So even if it seems harmless, if you switched it around the same time she started getting the rash I'd still mention it to a doctor just to be sure.

Comment

heh.
              with the fabric softner sheets i take the ones i used for my laundry and put them in hers, already used so that its diluted yet still good.
              will find out tomorrow morning around 9:30am or 10am so will update when i can
              i know her dad and grandpa have psoriasis that all they have to do is keep moisturized and neither do....

Comment

If she's allergic to detergents you can wash laundry in Borax alone. If you want a softener alternative, put a cup of vinegar in with the rinse cycle. I'm not sure what else she could be allergic to. Maybe it's ecsema (sp?) or some other immune system mal-response?
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                  If she's allergic to detergents you can wash laundry in Borax alone. If you want a softener alternative, put a cup of vinegar in with the rinse cycle. I'm not sure what else she could be allergic to. Maybe it's ecsema (sp?) or some other immune system mal-response?
                  Eczema. It is nasty, but I doubt that's what she had, because then the rash probably wouldn't be going away so fast. It tends to get flaky and rough and stay for several days/weeks.

TLDR though, doctor. Unfortunately there's just so many things that could cause something like this.

Comment

she has a bigger spot of dermatitis behind her ear that makes it look dirty but it isn't. continue using the hydrocortizone (sp?) cream that was prescribed to her and continue watching what i feed her. clean her nose with her nose bulb or wash out with saline as needed (yeah right she barely lets me touch her nose i am so not using saline) and give her one baby sized bottle or apple or prune juice or mix of as she seemed slightly constipated and water. so far she has been a mostly happy baby today

did not get a chance to get online until now as i am trying to catch up on sleep, chores and get rid of whatever my issue is that is keeping me down. i hope its not allergies but we shall see

Comment

I have to use unscented dryer sheets also. Even touching the regular dryer sheets can send me into a skin rash.

Comment

It's possible it's "just" rosacea. I have it in places, and periodically go a brilliant red. Rosacea is harmless and appears to be 'just one of those things'.

But I'm another one who has to be very, very careful of scented anything. Including some completely natural scents.
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

didn't know babies could get rosacea?
                          got her cortizone-10 with cooling action for the next time it happens as the two times it has happened it was food related. The first time was with the gerber graduates yogurt melts and it was because of the food dye. The second time she had gerber graduates lil' crunchies veggie with bell pepper and tomato as opposed to the veggie with just tomato (there are two versions who knew)
                          and pizza crust. Now I'd given her the veggie puffs the day before so it was either a delayed reaction to that or the combination of the puffs and pizza crust.
                          However with the yougurt melts i knew it was the combination of dairy and food dye but the food dye won out with the break out as i didn't think yogurt would be an issue as straight up milk or cheese would.

When she had her first taste of dairy at about 6 months, whatever she had had before that was still digesting came up with it, all on that one tiny bit of whipped cream. yeah not happening again until maybe 18 months as of right now preparing to see if she can handle lactaid or if she needs straight up soy milk
                          Attached Files

Comment

As far as laundry is concerned, I would go totally minimalist. No special sheets, used or otherwise, and turn on the deep-water rinse if your machine has an option for it (if it doesn't, it's probably the only way it knows anyway).

However, if previous instances of the same thing were caused by food allergies, I would suspect food again. Dairy and dyes would seem to be strong candidates, especially as they are easy to accidentally cross-contaminate from adult foods.

There is a school of thought that allergies are caused or aggravated by being too clean in early life. I would give that at least a passing thought.

Comment

i bathe her every other day due to the fact there is one bathroom to this house and some days i just don't get those 30 minutes needed to give her a bath. (most of it is prep work)
                              I sanitize her toys once a week as they often get played with by her cousins when they visit and last i knew they had their shots....her bottles are washed in hot water...
                              but i feel she gets pretty dirty so its not like her immune system hasn't been put to work lol.
                              I knew she would get some of her allergies from her parents as we both have sensitive skin issues and dairy sensitivity. I wasn't born with sensitive skin but as i get older it gets worse. Hubs was born that way. Same with the dairy issue It began around 25 years of age for me, hubs was born with it. so daughter when born could not even handle regular formula she kicked it back both times before the nurse asked me if i wanted to try soy formula.
                              I prepared for a fussy picky stubborn child like us or particular on how she wanted things. Instead I have a laid back generally happy child who touches everything. heh
                              even if she was picky I'd still love her

Comment

Working...
                              X