This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Gift Help

Like a lot of people I've seen on this forum, I too have a tendancy to want to go "underground" for the winter months. For me, it's a combination of growing up in retail and living with an extended family that hates each other - but still insists on spending every holiday together.

Anyway, I'll get on with my question.

In my family, I have free-loading uncle. Back when he had a job, he was a pretty neat person to hang around with. Ever since he's had kids, he's kind of given up. My aunt lost her receptionist job when the Dr she was working for retired and now they both mooch off my grandmother. My grandmother is in her late 70's as is becoming increasingly senile. Basically my uncle has trained my grandmother that whenever she sees his car pull up, she gets out her checkbook. In the past year she's given him $40,000 cash and last Christmas she bought him a new $30,000 truck. This spring he convinced her to give him her house. So she's living with my mom right now. We've tried to talk to my grandmother, but she doesn't understand why we would want to break up her family. So the rest of us just lay low and silently fume when he calls her "his ATM". I've threatened to call Adult Protective Services, but I don't know if I actually could.

So here's my problem. I have to buy gifts for these people and I'm at a loss. I know I can't afford to buy him a new boat or whatever else he wants this week. I also know that no matter how much money I spend on him and his kids, that they will still hate us and bad mouth us to everyone. Part of me just wants to sponser a local family in thier name or do some other chairity work, because it would make me feel better then spending money on people who A, don't need anything. and B, wouldn't know gratitude if it slapped them in the face with a tuna.

(How do I know they don't like us? Last year my mother overheard him telling my grandmother "I don't want Kanalah's family coming over for Christmas this year. They never get me anything good!". Later in the week I got a phone call from my grandmother saying we were no longer welcome at her house.)

What would you do?
    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Why are you buying ANYTHING for these people? If they were in my family, I wouldn't get them anything, not even a card. They don't like you, obviously you don't like them (for good reason), there is absolutely no reason to get anything for them. Just because they're family does not mean they deserve your respect or attention.

Case in point: I can't stand my grandfather. He is an opinionated, sexist asshole who tries to jam his religious beliefs down the throat of every person he meets. My aunt (his daughter) is insisting that everyone in the family send him a birthday card this year (his b-day is the day after Thanksgiving this year) to "help him feel better" because he's getting older and isn't as healthy as he used to be. There is no way I'm sending that man anything. I don't care that he's "related" to me; he lost my respect a long time ago after all the nasty things he's said and done, and just because my family is insisting "Oh, it's just a card, what harm will come of it" -- I'm not sacrificing my moral beliefs and better judgment in order to appease him, or the rest of the family.

Comment

Don't give them anything.

Unless you want to piss them off, in which case I recommend a donation in their honor to a well-deserving charity that you know they disapprove of.

But seriously, just don't. And I really would call Adult Protective Services - this is exactly the sort of situation that they exist to try to prevent. She clearly can't make a rational decision about money right now and it's sad that someone is sinking so low as to take advantage of that.

Comment

What Taboo said. Every bit of it.
        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Yeah, I'm a little confused about why you feel obligated to spend money on these people. Why not spend it on either (in no particular order)

1. Yourself.
          2. Someone who you actually like.
          3. Someone you don't know, but who needs it.

Comment

Buy them a pile of poo.

(Or any of a number of other useful items - to people who desperately need them.)

And yes, DO call Adult Protective Services. This is EXACTLY what they're there for.

(PS: if anyone wants to get me something 'for christmas' or whatever, feel free to use that site. Or any similar one. )
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

An interview with Adult Protective Services would make an excellent Christmas present. Who knows, it may even get him a matching set of chrome bracelets.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

There's a traditional gift for this sort of situation. Coal.

Comment

Thanks everybody for the help.

The only reason we buy gifts for them is to make my grandmother happy. She gets all weepy when we try to gently explain to her that her son is a huge mooch. She accuses us of "trying to destroy her family". So because we love her, we do our best to keep everyone happy.

To be honest, I've almost given up on the whole thing. I told my mother at really big craft show that I was feeling like it was time to wash my hands of it and walk away. I love my family, I just can't stand to be around sometimes. I actually do get along with my sister and my grandmother and even my mom (as long as hubby is there because they wouldn't dare start bashing me in front of him). It's just my uncle and his family that drives everyone batty. He's a mooch and he's rude and he's constantly telling everyone how awesome he is and how hard he works. Even though we all know the truth, that my grandmother is raising his kids for him and he's sleeping all day.

Funny story, my mom called him to ask him if we could use his truck and he told her that he couldn't leave the house because his kids wanted to go swimming and he was upset because he "needed to go get some work done". My mom told him there was a way he could get out of the house and away from the kids for 8-9 hours a day. Get a job. He laughed in her face and hung up.

Christmas time is just insane. Before we got kicked out, we'd have brunch and then open gifts/stockings. There wasn't gifts or anything for me, hubby or my kids. I'm a big girl and I really don't need anything, so I really don't care if I get gifts or not. But to totally blow off my kids, that just cuts deep, you know? Especially while everyone else is rolling in stuff. (my 7 yo cousin begged and whined for a laptop 2 years ago. Of course my grandmother bought the best one she could find. I found out from my mom that it's at my uncle's house, still in the box. Never been opened.)

So now we have this stupid dance where my mom will come over and pick up/drop off gifts and then the rest of the family has thier family time and we have ours. Ugh. It's so stupid.

I'm actually thinking of getting them this: http://www.oxfamunwrapped.com.au/gif...sewing-lessons
                  since I'm a quilter and all.
                  https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Working...
                  X