This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packing Advice

Alright so I got my Housing Assignment for school this January. I will be living in an on campus apartment with Friend, Roomie A, and Roomie B. In fact, I will be living in the room that Best Friend lived in this past semester. Due to the nature of her program she will be in England for most of Winter Semester, so I will be staying in her room. It's a really nice apartment, hardwood floors, great view, second floor, 1.5 baths. It's awesome. Here is a picture of the floorplan

Anyway, Best Friend is leaving plates, cups, etc for me to use while I'm in the apartment. The Roomies have everything else covered, Microwave, TV, Toaster, Pots and Pans, Vacumm, Broom, etc. So Friend told me not to bring anything except what i need for my room, and toiletries.

The thing, I'm worried about the end of the year. Once your exams are over you have to move out. So if my last exam is after the Roomies and Friend's last exam, then I could be left alone in the apartment with next to nothing. If Best Friend picks up her stuff before then, I will be left with nothing at all. I mean, I can't use my textbooks as plates.

So I'm asking your advice. What should I bring, what shouldn't I bring?
    Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
    Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

If you are alone at the end of the semester, buy some paper plates and do takeout. You'll be too busy with finals to want to cook, and if you're alone it will probably only be for a few days.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
      If you are alone at the end of the semester, buy some paper plates and do takeout. You'll be too busy with finals to want to cook, and if you're alone it will probably only be for a few days.
      Ditto this...And you have a whole semester to figure it out. A hot plate and some ramen may be the way to go OR someone may not mind leaving something like a microwave they dont wanna take home. I honestly figure its probably the least of your worries.

Comment

Agreed. Or get a cheap picnic set from a dollar store. A picnic set is going to have just about everything you need to eat from, and you can live for a little while on stuff that doesn't need cooking. Or you can get a pot from a dollar store as well, if you really think you'll want to cook.

But 'doesn't need cooking' stuff like sandwiches is really likely to be all you'll want between their last final and yours anyway.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
          Agreed...also scope out student lounges--microwaves are more common there than you realize.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Goodwill store etc, you can buy single plates and small batches of utensils for pennies.

Comment

And re-donate them back so you don't have to schlep them home.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                Agreed...also scope out student lounges--microwaves are more common there than you realize.
                People who live in the campus apartments don't have access to the floor kitchens/lounges, because we don't live in residence. The common room for the apartments is just a TV and vending machines, since we all have our own kitchens. Plus the Day Students Lounge doesn't have microwaves either.

Comment

Quoth hinakiba777 View Post
                  People who live in the campus apartments don't have access to the floor kitchens/lounges, because we don't live in residence. The common room for the apartments is just a TV and vending machines, since we all have our own kitchens. Plus the Day Students Lounge doesn't have microwaves either.
                  That varies campus-to-campus. When I was still in school, there was a vending room/student lounge open 20 hours/day with microwaves and a hot water spigot.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Consider investing in an electric kettle.

Not only are they great for heating up water for things like instant soup, they're great for hot chocolate, chai tea, etc, etc, etc.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Oh, I already own a kettle.

I own most things i would need in the apartment. But I don't know if I should bring my toilet brush, my kettle, my cleaning supplies. It's hard.

Comment

Working...
                      X