This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rap Help!

Does anyone know any good, non-profane rappers? My toddler loves rap and I haven't seriously listened to rap since Rev Run was just Run and he was in Run DMC (and my Catholic school teachers sent home notes to parents about how terrible 2 Live Crew was...they couldn't imagine Eminem, I guess). I found one rapper I like named B.O.B. but are there any others?

(on a side note, why do rappers have stupid names now? They all just put Lil' or Young in front of their real name, a close approximation of their real name, or some onomatopoeia. Where are the Flava Flavs, Ghostface Killahs and LL Cool Js? I admit I think Chamillionaire is pretty clever though).
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

I'm afraid I can't be of help, but I wonder if Rappa Sca Llion, will weigh in here with some advice?

Mike
    Meow.........

Comment

.. rap without profanity? I thought that was a key requirement, judging by the (admittedly limited) stuff I've listened to..... -.- Sorry I can't be more help. If its just the rythym, would just music work? i.e. no lyrics?
      "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
      Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Amazon is showing me a series called Kids Rap Radio. It's apparently made by Beyonce's father to be kid-appropriate. The lyrics may be more mundane than what you're looking for, but at least there wouldn't be any profanity.

Comment

Will Smith (AFAIK) makes a point of not cussing. His early stuff with DJ Jazzy Jeff was pretty cool....
          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

So I take it 2 Live Crew is out of the picture then...

I would go with the Fat Boys myself. Or Kurtis Blow. Or anything more old-school rap. Like early to mid 80s or so.

And the best thing about this type of rap--the performers made their own music. None of this sampling nonsense.
            Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 01-12-2011, 02:23 PM.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I will have to second the Dj Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince for non-cursing.
              Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Secret Agent 23 Skidoo

He's a rapper for the kiddie set.

Mr. Rum, Child Rum, and I caught his act at Frostival (a children-themed convention in the Washingotn DC area that was held New Year's Day).

He wasn't Child Rum's cuppa (nor mine or Mr. Rum's), but everyone else in the area quite enjoyed him.

ETA: Hubs & I were more amused at the sign language interpreter singing rap than by the group itself.

Comment

astronautalis is probably my favorite at the moment. he does drop the occasional f-bomb, but it's maybe once on an album, definitely not in every song. in fact, on his most recent album ("pomegranate"), i don't think he cusses at all. plus, he makes some of the best, most intelligent rap around. "pomegranate" is an album full of historical fiction--where else will you find raps about the revolutionary war (the song is "trouble hunters," about the battle of trenton)? check him out on youtube. in particular, i'd look for "skeletons (everyone's favorite)," "trouble hunters," and "mr. blessington's imperialist plot."

also, most of the so-called "nerdcore" rappers are pretty good about being non-profane. i'd stay away from mc chris, but mc lars, mc frontalot, optimus rhyme, and beefy are all pretty good.
                  My Space

Comment

Definitely avoid Ice T, Ice Cube, and NWA. They're great, but definitely not appropriate for what you are looking for.

Oh, and also avoid Ice T's rock-rap fusion band, Body Count. Pretty much the polar opposite of what you are looking for (though they are freakin' awesome!).

Maybe some Run-DMC? Not that familiar with their stuff, but I think I remembered them as being relatively harmless.....

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

I can thank KiaKat for getting me hooked on these guys.

Call Me a Duck
                      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                      Save the Ales!
                      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
                      X