This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a break.

So things are not great right now. I don't mean that I am unhappy but I feel like I need to take a break to just think about so many things.

My best friend is having unprotected sex with a stranger she just met that has a girlfriend and is probably having unprotected sex with many other women. All she talks about is what they do sexually and that is just info I don't wanna hear over dinner after a long day at work.

I have been with my company for 8 years and the 16 year old that I helped get through the ranks (she is now 22) just got promoted to ASM and I taught her all she knows. That is a long story there.

Many of my friends drink so much that they act like a fool. Oh and my best friend made out with one of my co-workers when they were both sloppy drunk and that makes it awkard for some reason now.

I just want a break from everybody. I don't want to talk or hang out with anybody until I feel like it again. All I want to do is go to work and then have my family time. I want to take a break from my friends.

Anybody ever felt this way?

Sounds like you're feeling burned out on other people's stupidity. Just too many little things that could be dealt with on their own but together are overwhelming. Yeah, I've been there myself.

I would honestly tell your best friend to shut it. I don't know the best way to tell her that won't offend her, since I don't know your friend, but figure something out. Along the lines of "hey, look, we've talked about this a lot and I don't really approve of it and you're going to keep doing it anyway, so let's just talk about other things instead." Obviously try to state it in some way that won't make her feel like you're being all judgy, but without knowing your friend I can't really say exact phrasing. You get the gist of it though. I'd suggest doing this just because it sounds like one of the few things you might be able to change, if you at least don't have to hear that constantly. (And ew, seriously, who wants THAT much of a running commentary on the sex life of someone they're not dating themselves...?)

As far as the rest goes, I'd try only hanging out with those drunk friends in the future when they are doing something that doesn't involve alcohol. Suggest something if you don't normally do other group stuff. Otherwise, hang out with your friends who aren't being idiots or go have even more fun on your own.

Totally okay and understandable that you're fed up with all of this. Go be a hermit for a little while if it makes you feel better, or stop hanging out with people who are energy/mood-suckers. =)

Comment

I'm severely introverted; happens to me all the time.

Geez, third post today. Talkative.

Comment

Quoth JLG View Post
        I want to take a break from my friends.

Anybody ever felt this way?
        Yes.

It's not the same situation, mind you, but in 2007, after a breakup with The Worst Girlfriend Ever (though at the time I did not know she was), I needed to Get Away. I didn't want to be around her, my coworkers, my friends, my enemies, my neighbors, my roommates, my acquaintances....I wanted to go to the Anti-Cheers, where NOBODY knew my name! It's not that my friends weren't helpful or looking out for me...I just needed, as I said, to get the fuck away from everything I knew.

So I decided to take a mini-vacation. I talked to my boss about clearing my schedule the following week, and she was very helpful, knowing full well what was going on (and she had not quite written the schedule yet).

My first thought: The Bahamas. I looked into it. My wallet vetoed the idea, with prejudice.

My second thought: Miami. My third thought: Fuck Miami.

Finally a friend suggested Fort Myers Beach. Close enough to get to quickly. Far enough away where I would not run into anyone I knew. Did a little online research, scored a hotel room on the cheap (off season), worked through the end of the week, packed my shit into my truck, and road tripped up to FMB, where no one knew my name....and where, in the second bar I went in, the band looked up and said, "Oh, hi Jester."

But other than the band at that bar (who knew me from gigs they had done in Key West), I didn't run into anyone I knew. I drank, ate, chilled, biked, swam, bought silly t-shirts, drank more, checked out the chicks in bikinis on the beach, jet skied, and thoroughly ignored my actual life. I laughed, I cried, I drank too much, biked away my hangover, flirted with girls who were way younger than me, and put Key West and That Vile Woman mostly out of my mind. And it was pretty cool.

Now, you are not me, and the situation is not the same, but is there any break coming up in your school schedule? A break you could use to take a few days off of work, go away somewhere that's not too far, and just do whatever it is you like to do to relax? If so, I advise it. It really worked for me, helped me clear my head of much of the junk and trash in it.

Good luck!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Taboo View Post
          Sounds like you're feeling burned out on other people's stupidity. Just too many little things that could be dealt with on their own but together are overwhelming. Yeah, I've been there myself.

And ew, seriously, who wants THAT much of a running commentary on the sex life of someone they're not dating themselves

Yes that is exactly how I feel. And these people don't want to hear my stuff, they just talk non stop about their problems.

And the stuff my friend tells me about her sex life with that dude she met literally makes me sick to my stomache. If she were talking about some new guy that she met and they were dating and it was going good then fine, I don't mind hearing about it. But when it is about how she drives to his house to have sex and has to make sure that his neighbors don't see her and all the stuff he does to her cause his girlfriend is boring in bed then, nope don't want to hear that the ENTIRE time during dinner.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            Now, you are not me, and the situation is not the same, but is there any break coming up in your school schedule? A break you could use to take a few days off of work, go away somewhere that's not too far, and just do whatever it is you like to do to relax? If so, I advise it. It really worked for me, helped me clear my head of much of the junk and trash in it.

Good luck!

Actually I do have a break coming up. I will be on vacation from work. I have decided to just be alone at home. I am going to catch up on my reading and watch movies. I will not answer my phone or texts from friends. I really need a break from everything to just be alone with my thoughts. Hopefully my friends will understand that I want and need to be alone during that time.

Comment

Quoth JLG View Post
              Hopefully my friends will understand that I want and need to be alone during that time.
              Don't bet the rent money on that. Some may drop by unannounced.
              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth JLG View Post
                Actually I do have a break coming up. I will be on vacation from work. I have decided to just be alone at home. I am going to catch up on my reading and watch movies. I will not answer my phone or texts from friends. I really need a break from everything to just be alone with my thoughts. Hopefully my friends will understand that I want and need to be alone during that time.
                Suggestion: do all that, but do it elsewhere. If you're gonna take a break, take a BREAK. Get out of town for a few days, even if it's just to sit around like a bum and read at coffee shops, people watch, see movies in theaters you've never been to, bang prostitutes, smoke crack, get into a barroom brawl, become an honorary member of an outlaw bike gang, run from the law, run drugs across the border for some serious money, and have a nice dinner or two out. You know...a nice quiet vacation.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester, for the most part, you just described my dream existence!!!!!
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Another suggestion.

If this is typical of your friends - if they are typically doing things you find immature and undesirable and possibly even unsafe - it might be time for you to find a new circle of friends.

It sucks. But sometimes you outgrow friends. That's life.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Seeing as just one of those sections pretty much mirrors what I was going through and was a major reason in me deciding taking up a job in Afghanistan in the middle of a war is a good idea...yes, I feel that way.
                      "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Working...
                      X