This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crafters -- preventing theft during shows

I thought I'd start a thread here for all of us who vend at art and craft shows or anime/gaming/sci-fi conventions. I had two conventions I vended at in the last two weeks, and I lost a total of $45 worth of merchandise to thieves between both shows, so I am having to rethink my display.

First I have realized I can have NOTHING sitting on the table, without being attached to something. At one show I had some hair barrettes sitting on the table and realized at the end of the day that one was gone. Even stuff that is hanging has disappeared. Most of my stuff is jewelry or accessories (like cell phone straps or hair pins) that I can hang or clip onto my wire frame displays. I had a $20 bracelet hanging on the display that disappeared last weekend. I was so mad because I was probably sitting right there when it happened, but my husband had gone to the bathroom and I was working on a custom order for someone, so someone probably made off with it while I had my head down and my husband was gone.

I am going to start actually attaching stuff to my display with jump rings (the bracelet that disappeared was hanging from the wire by its clasp, but in a way that it was easy to take down so people could try it on.) For stuff like bracelets and necklaces that are on the more expensive end, I am going to attach them with a jump ring that can only be removed with a pair of pliers (I work with chainmail so this is easy for me to do.) I'm just worried that people will be less inclined to buy something if they can't just pick it up and try it on without asking me, but I don't know what else to do. I haven't had an issue with theft until recently, and I don't want it to continue.

So, does anyone have any other suggestions or questions they'd like to share?

I know some jewelry vendors I've seen keep clear cases with a lock for their display items. If you want to try something on, they'll unlock it and let you try on whatever piece. That might be something to invest in.
    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Or what about a case with a door that makes a bit of noise? That way if you're distracted, you can check on it when you hear the noise, but you're not always stopping to unlock the case.

I think the jump rings are a good idea.

Comment

I was thinking of the glass cases, like Kheldarson suggested. you might also try wiring the piece to your rack, like twist ties, where you can easily get to them but would be hard for the general public to get to.

Sorry you have had stuff taken.
        Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

I would like to invest in some glass displays someday but I don't think I can right now. They're expensive, which I can deal with if I save up enough, but I'm also really cramped for space. We have a Honda Civic, so when I do outdoor shows where I need to bring a tent, table, chairs, all my display pieces and all my merchandise, we can barely fit everything in the car as it is. And during anime conventions, we (usually) only get one 6x4ft table with no floor space, so everything has to fit on that table. I have a LOT of stuff and need to build my displays as vertically as possible, hence the wire frame cubes (I use them to make two big pillars that go on either end of my table, that I hang stuff off of, and in the center I lay stuff that can't be easily hung, like the hair barrettes...at least I used to.) I will definitely think about it and keep my eyes open for glass displays that would work and are portable enough.

Comment

you could make the glass cases. It would just be a box with an old window for the top. with a couple of hinges so it opens at your end and you would be set. You could also make them so them collapse to save space. Use plastic for the top and you won't have to worry about glass breaking and you can cut the plastic any size you want.

At least that is what I am picturing.
            Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

First off, I am so sorry that you had stuff stolen.

I alo totally understand about having to consider car space for displays. I have a Dodge Caliber, and I load it up with quilts and display baskets and strap the quilt racks on top.

I do think a case is a good idea, I'm sure there's a way you can design one with plastic instead of glass and have it hinged or something in a way that you can take it apart and store it flat? Sorry that doesn't make more sense, I'm used to working with fabric.

But yeah it does totally stink that you have to watch everyone like a hawk. I'm used to having little things stolen all the time. Normally I have a big wooden treasure chest full of those "fill a bag for $x" rocks and those are usually what gets stolen.
              https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

A simple display case. I hope I can describe this...

You can adapt the size depending on what is going inside of it. The concept is that it will have sides, a front and a top. It will be open in the back. It is not secure, but it will keep people from grabbing and running.

The size can be what ever you want it to be. I am going to describe one that is 24” wide by 18” deep by 8” high. This will fit on your 2' x 4' table and not take it all up.

Sides are constructed of 1” pine, 18” long. The front will be 6” high. The back will be 8” high. This will give it a sloped top. Attach a 1” X 2” X 24” pine strip to the front and back at the base. If you use a single screw on each end, you will be able to fold the sides down for storage. Probably should add a third one for a center support.

To the front, attach a 24” x 5” piece of Plexiglass. The top will be a 24” X 18” piece. Most stores that sell Plexiglass will cut it for you. Use one screw on each support to attach the front. Two screws on each support to attach the top. Use a pan head screw and pre-drill the Plexiglass.

Note that the front is taller than the top. This creates a ledge so that items won't slide off. Or, make it a flat top.

This should be easy to assemble/disassemble and will store flat.

I found a 24” x 48” piece of Plexiglass (enough for two) for $22.00. You can probably build two of these for under $40.00.
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
                X