This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a new bed...

We're getting a new bed for the new apartment. Our current thinking is running along the lines of getting a firm mattress and buying a separate topper - would extend the life of the mattress, and allow us to play around with how firm we want our mattress on any given day. In addition, we're thinking of getting a double-sided mattress, so it's flippable.

What do all of you have, and does anyone have recommendations for a brand or style we should look at?

Honestly, your best bet when it comes to mattresses is to go into the mattress sotre (or mattress section of a furniture store) and try all the different display mattresses until you find one you like.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

We have a water bed, and we love it. We have the medium firm one (it's considered 40-50% waveless, I think)...it has chambers inside the mattress full of some kind of absorbent material so it's not just a big bag of water (we used to have one of those, I didn't like it as well.) I always sleep like crap when we go somewhere else that has a regular mattress now. The water bed is very soft and cushioning and conforms to your body, I think they're much better than standard mattresses. You can also get ones that are up to 90% waveless so there's even less motion when you roll over or move around on it.

Comment

Water beds are fun but if you rent, some apartments ban them. Check before you buy.

Comment

We purchased one from Denver Mattress Factory about 6 years ago and we love it, we purchased one that is kind of a pillowtop, it is not too hard but not too mushy either. It was not very expensive, it was about $300.00. I sleep so much better on this mattress, it was well worth the investment and we turn and rotate our every three or four months.

Comment

We're leaning towards a firm or medium innerspring bed, and adding a topper of some sort. Right now there's a King Coil that's attracting both of us, but I'm hoping to get to a store and try it out at some point this week.

Comment

Our mattress is rotatable, but not flippable. I don't remember what brand it is, but it is rather firm and we don't use any kind of topper, just the standard water-proof mattress cover (if you get any stain on the mattress it voids the warranty) and the fitted sheet. Really the only way to figure out what you want is to go to the stores and try them out.
              Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

I'll put a plug in for Select Comfort. I have had mine for 16 year now. It is just as good as the day I bought it. There is no need to flip or rotate it. Just add a little air back in it every couple of weeks.
                Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                Save the Ales!
                Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I looked at Select Comfort - it's a bit out of our price range right now, but it's definitely competing with Latex for what we'll choose when we finally buy a house.

42, any chance you could check for a tag next time you strip the sheets? I'm really trying to research brands at the moment. Do you feel the springs when you lay down, or is there enough upholstery that they're pretty hidden?

Has anyone bought a Simmons? One of the mattresses I'm considering is a Beautyrest, but I'd love to hear opinions before putting it at the top of the list.

Comment

Working...
                  X