This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Job Help

So, I've been unemployed for over a year, ever since I lost my shit and quit my job at the grocery store Feb. 2010. I didn't realize until after I quit that I was seriously depressed and loosing myself.

Since then I've been getting my shit together, seeing a shrink, and last fall I went back to school. My (wonderful, awesome, there are no words) Aunt has been supporting me this entire time. Have I mentioned she is awesome?

Well, I sat down and took a look at the summer schedule for school, and realized that taking classes over the summer won't speed up the time until I graduate. So I did some self searching, and I realized that I'm finally in a place where I think I can handle the wonderful world of retail again, at least for three months. Since I'm sick to death of not having any money of my own, and of not being able to contribute to the household, I'm going to be hunting for a job, at least for the summer.

Here's my problem. The jobs I've had, I just kind of fell into. I wandered into a random place, I applied, I got hired. I really don't have the first clue how to look for a job. I'd rather not do retail again, but I realize I probably don't have a choice, not with my (lack of) experience and marketable skills.

I just...need help. Any advice you can think to give would be appreciated.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Job hunting can be a full time job, and you honestly can put more time in a day then in some jobs..though a lot of business have moved to online applications and that cuts down on travel time. Look around your area...and see which jobs you think you can handle. Find out the businesses website (if they have any) and visit there FIRST. Also any temporary agencies, though often those are manual labor type places.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

For a summer job, if you don't mind manual work, you can often assist at a pool, or help gardeners/landscapers. Both have extra work over summer.

Getting a job really amounts to contacting people and offering your services. Have your aunt and your therapist both help you identify what skills and attributes you have to offer; and what sort of work would appeal to you.

Once you know that, you are in a much better position to sell your services.

Exercise:

Write down five skills you have. (Doesn't matter if you think they're job-suitable).
      Write down five attributes of your personality.
      Write down five things you love to do. (Again, doesn't matter if you think they're job things).

Post them here.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Try applying for the Parks department in your city, they are always hiring summer help for mowing the parks, weeding flower gardens and such. Do you live in an area that has a lot of tourists or tourist attractions? Those places are usually looking for summer help and it does not have to be just retail because they usually need janitors or groundskeepers. Major hotels usually need housekeepers for the summer business. If you live near a state park you might want to check and see if they need summer help, most state parks do hire for the summer and check out your state department of transportation (I think that is the correct place to go to) and apply for "flagger" jobs or other road construction jobs. Summer jobs are pretty easy to find if you live in a tourist industry area.

Comment

Working...
        X