This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underarm jiggle

Is there anything I can do to tone/get rid of? I'm not in the greatest of shapes, but the place under my arms is really unsightly and reminds me of jello!

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
    Last edited by CaroPhoenix; 04-11-2011, 12:50 PM. Reason: I apparently type like a drunken monkey before I've had my morning coffee.

I'd probably recommend bicep curls with weights, but I am sure somebody has better advice
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
      I'd probably recommend bicep curls with weights, but I am sure somebody has better advice
      Nothing wrong with that one. It would be good to get some tricep (back of the arm) exercises too.

Tricep dips are a really good one...they're really simple and you can do them at home. At the gym I use a bench, but at home I've used my couch or bed. http://http://www.fitsugar.com/How-D...s-Dips-1055754
      The explanation is lengthy but once you get the hang of it, they're simple. Notice I said simple, not easy If you're just starting out, they can be modified (move yourself closer to the bench, etc.)
      "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Underarm jiggle is triceps - but do work on the biceps as well.

Note that some of it is also fat, and you can't spot-reduce fat.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

First off, Cardio. Cardio is good because it improves the delivery system to the muscles for energy and the building blocks of muscle. It also helps with recovery. Walking = cardio. Climbing the stairs = cardio. swimming = cardio (and a little anaerobic).

Arm exercises are good, and can be done while walking. Get little weights (1 pound or less if they're available) and when walking, do slow extensions (from the elbow bent at 90degrees slowly down so that the hands are at the thighs - you need to feel the muscle at the back of the arm flexing when you do this), and curls (slowly bending the arm up).

Fergie apparently does the whole weights in hands while walking and she has quite nice arms.

also, try this and this
          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I'm cheap. I shop in a grocery store with a hand basket. When in line, waiting, I do 3 sets of 10 curls (each arm). Then I do 3 sets of 10 tricep extensions. Hold arm at 90*, wrist up, bent at elbow. Hold the weight in palm. slowly lower hand/arm to be parallel to bod, extend a bit past that towards backside.
            --| to |__ to |_/

triceps will tone up.
            In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
            She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone! I don't know what I was doing, but I all of a sudden saw the jiggles and thought: "OMG!!! That is disgusting!" and then I wanted to

I'm going to try out some light weights while I walk the mall in the mornings. (I would like to do 4-5 mornings, but in reality, I only do 1-2).

Comment

Another thanks for the advice.....I need to tone my triceps really badly. Been doing weights, but I am so impatient, ha!
                "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Start without any weights at all. Just do the exercises using your arm itself as the load.

Then you can start adding to the load with weights. A can of soup in each hand is a weight, if you don't want to spend money on it. So is a soda bottle filled with water, once the soup can is too easy.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

yeah. Whatever exercises you do in your life, make sure you do the 'opposite' one as well-- back muscles and front muscles, triceps and biceps (for example). Otherwise, you could really hurt yourself-- as in injury! There's some gross stuff that can happen if you neglect the opposite muscle groups, like muscles snapping/breaking like rubber bands. x_x
                    "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                    "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Arm jiggle is one of the hardest body areas to get rid of, according to my WW...person.

Seriously, she lost a LOT of weight, but her arms still looked bad.
                      I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
                        yeah. Whatever exercises you do in your life, make sure you do the 'opposite' one as well-- back muscles and front muscles, triceps and biceps (for example). Otherwise, you could really hurt yourself-- as in injury!
                        That's the main reason that fitness instructors, physiotherapists, etc tell you to stay in control as you reverse the movement. Like with bicep curls: on the way up, you're exercising your biceps. A controlled reverse (lowering the weights) exercises the triceps.

That said, it's also good to do exercises specifically for the reverse muscles.

Comment

I've got flying squirrel arms and I've found nothing really helps it. When I was about 80 pounds lighter five years ago, I lost weight in most other areas, but my arms still stayed huge. I've been told the only way I'm ever going to get rid of the arm flab is if I get surgery to remove it.

I just make sure I never wear a tanktop - much cheaper than cosmetic surgery.

Comment

I lift weights 5 days a week (actually, 7, but I use little dumb-bells twice a week, the other 5 are at the gym with cables and better equipment), and while I have developed some nice shoulders and a nice back, even some decent little biceps and nice overall tone to my arms that wasn't there before....the under part still jiggles. HORRIBLY. And that adds extra size, still, to my arms.

I have a feeling no matter what I do, my upper arms will always be jiggly and big.

Mine is genetic, just an awful trait that keeps getting passed on, on my mother's side of the family.
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                            X