This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting turn of events

To start, allow me to explain that I am allergic to latex. Deathly so. I found this out several years ago, and it's just a part of life for me. Thus, I was freaked out to find that the paint we were given to use in my art class contains latex. Now, people have been starting on painting stuff since Monday. On Monday, I started to feel very sick in class, though I was fine until then. It was on yesterday (where I was sick again and having trouble breathing), though, that I found out that the paint was 100% latex.

Naturally, I was freaked out and brought the latex issue up with my professor. He pretty much just said "Well, I guess you'll have to just get different paint." and left it at that. I went out into the hallway to call my mom, who told me I should just pack up and get outta there since I had no gloves and/or surgical mask and was already feeling like I had something sitting on my chest.

That brings me to today. My mom had an appointment with the ear-nose-and-throat doctor, with whom she shared all this stuff about the latex paint. As we both suspected, I pretty much can't even be *in* the same room where this paint is being used because, even if I'm not handling it directly, it's still floating about in the air.

As far as I know, they don't have non-latex paint in the art building. Even if they did, I would have to be isolated from whatever room said latex paint is being used in. I'm planning on talking about all this with my advisor tomorrow, but beyond that? Not sure what to do. Suggestions?
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Talk to your advisor, also get a note from your Dr. stating your allergy and restrictions. I would email your instructors as well. Explain the severity of your reactions.
    My sanity has been dripping out of me my whole life, today they turned on the faucet.....

Comment

Tell your professor and bring your documentation.
      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

If your teacher doesn't take it seriously, go to disability services and to his supervisor.

But do take the documentation as well.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

When you do bring your documentation to the prof/disability services/supervisor, be sure to mention ADA. Latex allergy is fairly common, and "reasonable acommodation" would include using latex-free paints for everyone in the class. It's not as if all paints contain latex - in the art world, there are (just off the top of my head)

- Watercolour
          - Acrylic (note: for house paint, this is equivalent to latex, don't know about art paints)
          - Egg tempera
          - Oils
          - Encaustic
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            - Acrylic (note: for house paint, this is equivalent to latex, don't know about art paints)
            Funny you should mention that. The cans did say 100% Acrylic Latex. And, yes, they were pretty much house paint-grade paints. Behr, specifically. I've bought acrylic art paints at the campus bookstore before, though, that were non-latex.
            "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Working...
            X