This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• date advice

Is it a good thing or a bad thing I come here for dating advice rather than some random internet dating forum? Or worse yet, /b/

Anyways, I have a date tonight. I was wanting to buy her a rose ahead of time, like you see in tv and stuff with guys and blind dates.

Background: first date, met her on plentyoffish (I hope that's not a bad sign ), and we're meeting half-way at a mall.

I know this should be obvious, but my lack of social common sense is defeating me here.

Thanks!
    To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

my blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/joesblog/
    my brother's blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/ryansblog/

A rose might be a bit much. Maybe a daisy?
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Personally I think roses are a bit over-hyped. Plus, coming on a bit strong for a woman you've never actually met. I'll go with AdminAssistant and say a daisy, or maybe a lily, but not a white one.
      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Roses have a lot of drama? stigma? something attached to them. Go with another pretty flower for a first date and she'll think "Ooohh a flower" instead of whatever she associates with roses. Trust me, she associates something with roses.

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
          Personally I think roses are a bit over-hyped. Plus, coming on a bit strong for a woman you've never actually met. I'll go with AdminAssistant and say a daisy, or maybe a lily, but not a white one.
          This, except I'd say don't do a flower the first time you ever meet her. But then, I don't always match the female stereotyoes.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Instead of doing flowers, what kind of stuff does she like? If she loves reading, give her a book you think she'd like. IMO, something like that makes a better first impression than flowers. Lasts longer too, and is less likely to cause allergies.
            "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Yeah, and with flowers, inside I'm thinking, "What do I do with these?"
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Condoms and a life jacket. She'll think you are a man of mystery. :-)
                "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

If you are going to do flowers I agree with Daisy, Maybe a couple Gerbera daises? They are cute, brightly colored and very spring timey. I'd think it would be cute if I got one or two of those.
                  I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
                    Condoms and a life jacket. She'll think you are a man of mystery. :-)
                    See, you can come here and still get all the advice that you would get on /b/!

Personally, I wouldn't buy a gift for a first date. I would think it awkward to be walking around the mall carring flowers...

Comment

Is this an actual date or meet in strange open place and get vibes?

If it's a date & dinner, make sure you get the stuff she likes - or even a surprise dessert of her liking. IMO Flowers on first are over the top. I'd be your charming self.

If it's a meet & greet- skip the romantic stuff, and just meet.
                      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Der Cute View Post
                        Is this an actual date or meet in strange open place and get vibes?
                        Hmm, yeah, I've been assuming this was a date. If it's a meet and greet, definitely no flowers. If it's a date, one flower is sweet, a bouquet on the other hand, is way over the top.
                        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Save the flowers for another date, perhaps if you two ever do something a little more formal and fancy.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Yeah-- If you feel the urge for a flower-- do one, and I agree with the rose thing.
                            Also, cut flowers make me sad-- waaahhh dead plant! But I'm strange.
                            [QUOTE=Raveni;889149]See, you can come here and still get all the advice that you would get on /b/!

/QUOTE]
                            Sheldon! You rascal... you're continuing your pattern of awesomeness!
                            I agree with Raveni as well! two or more for just the one set of baggage!

... wait, Joe said his date was 'tonight,' right? How did it go? did you need the life jacket? Are you currently running from the mob, the government, or aliens?
                            Is she the one to save Earth?
                            Or ... are you handcuffed to a bed somewhere and can't respond?
                            Or O_O are you in a bath full of ice without an internal organ or three??!
                            Answer us Joe!
                            EDIT: ... did you need the condom?
                            Last edited by teh_blumchenkinder; 04-26-2011, 01:30 AM.
                            "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                            "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Quoth teh_blumchenkinder View Post
                              ... wait, Joe said his date was 'tonight,' right? How did it go? did you need the life jacket? Are you currently running from the mob, the government, or aliens?
                              Is she the one to save Earth?
                              Or ... are you handcuffed to a bed somewhere and can't respond?
                              Or O_O are you in a bath full of ice without an internal organ or three??!
                              Answer us Joe!
                              Actually, the date went quite well Didn't bring a flower because it was raining and I thought the flower would get soggy... Plus thought, after reading some of this thread, I thought a flower at first might be too much.

Anyways, quick summary of the date:

We met half-way (funnily enough in a town called "Middletown"). I'd say it was about 7pm.

Walked around a (somewhat) abandoned mall. She said most malls nowadays are like this. Talked a bunch.

Drove around and finally decided to eat at Cracker Barrel. We sat, ate, and then talked for at least an hour. Although I knew a lot of this before hand from texts, learned she is about as big a geek as me.

Went to a movie ("Hanna"). About 15-20mins I got the courage (and dry enough palms) to hold her hand. Then I put my arm around her (and didn't even use the yawn-maneuver!)

Afterwards I drove her back to her car and we both went home (to our own homes - not together).

Best part? We're still texting! She hasn't suddenly ended communication with me like some of my previous dates have. I'm going to ask her if she wants to go on another date this weekend. Something different, of course. I'm thinking one of those bar-restaurant places with live music. I know of some downtown. She's from out of state so she doesn't know this state too well.

EDIT: ... did you need the condom?
                              Nope. I'm actually glad - I think if I did there'd be less chance of this being long-term. Plus I'd have no idea what I was doing or the fact I didn't bring one
                              To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

my blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/joesblog/
                              my brother's blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/ryansblog/

Comment

Working...
                              X