This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Joys of Family

Anybody else have a dysfunctional family?

I had to break up my older and younger brother fist fighting in my parents front yard...

my 2 year old niece was watching the fight...

I apparently am now on my mother's shit list for dragging my younger brother into my truck and peeling out of the drive way to end the fight...vice "talking it out"...

I now remember why I left for the military when I was 19...

Oh...and I was there to celebrate my birthday...

And no...alcohol was not present at the event...the cause of the fight? Well the excuse was over watching an NHL hockey game vice the NFL draft...but there are obviously serious underlying issues...
    "Beatings will continue until morale improves!"

Up till the time both of my brothers got married they were still having scuffles.

Comment

Separating the assailants, and having them talk it out LATER, when the adrenalin has passed, is far the wiser idea.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

She was not perfectly fine...

The problem is, my family talks all the time...no one listens. My parents have been together far to long. They basically act like neither one of each other exist even though they live in the same house. My younger brother is an alcoholic and right now a dry drunk as he hasn't had a job in two years. My older brother, who has move back into my parents place with his three kids and his wife, is extremely controlling and manipulative. He gets it from our mother who pretty much got it from her mother...and so on.

My family is the sort where what the neighbors think is so much worse than the actual problems. Its the fun circle of life I guess.
        "Beatings will continue until morale improves!"

Comment

I think most families have some level of dysfunction. There's no such thing as the "perfect family."

That being said, do what is healthy for you. If limiting contact with your family is the best for you, then do that.
          Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Yeah, I'd have to say that my family is dysfunctional - my mom's youngest brother and his family live on the other side of town, and don't really have much contact with the rest of us.....it kind of started after my male cousins started getting involved in sports.

And then on my dad's side, one of his younger brothers has nothing to do with the rest of his family......I know there was a falling-out of sorts, and think the last time anyone heard from him was when my grandfather died. (which was a little over ten years ago)

Comment

Yeah my family is nowhere near normal....

Basically the short version is that if "normal" people consider it a good thing, then to my family it's abhorrent.

Add to it that my parents think nothing of telling me "you were a mistake, you ruined our lives, we should've had an abortion" The whole time I was growing up.

No wonder when my friends ask I just tell them I was raised by wolves.

But hey, lots of nice people around here. I have lots of surrogate sisters and brothers and even a mom or two.
              https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Wolves care for their young, Kanalah. Your parents...
                "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
                "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

Teh beat me to it.
                  Hyenas maybe? *Shrugs*
                  Although if your replacing, not comparing, then yeah, wolves are the awesome
                  "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                  Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

We say raised by wolves because I am completely different then the rest of my family and being raised by animals would actually explain why I am not a strange redneck/white trash hybrid.

I remember the first few encounters with my in-laws were rather bizzare because I was used to a different concept of "normal". They actually treated me like a human and it was so weird to me.

My mom still refers to her children as "legal slave labor". To our faces.
                    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Working...
                    X