This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever had a sprained ankle?

So my live-in bf sprained his ankle after awkwardly stepping off of a curb two nights ago. His parents took him to the doc's while I was at work. The doc said he had to go to physical therapy and left it at that.

This is the first time he's had a mobility-limiting injury so he's acting like he's dying. I have no idea how long he'll be laid up for until he goes to physical therapy. It's also a "stage 1" sprain, whatever that means. He is calling the physical therapists office today. Until then, I have NO idea what to expect in terms of recovery time, what I need to do as his primary caregiver, etc. Anyone experienced it before?

Thanks in advance. Sorry if I'm sounding whiny, I just feel really guilty that I can't provide him with 24/7 care like his mommy can (which she so helpfully reminded me of last night....)
    "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

I fell out of a tree and nearly tore my Achilles tendon clean through when I was 6. Let me tell you it hurt like hell.

I was able to get around on crutches just fine and didn't really need all that much help despite the fact that my ankle had swelled to the point that I could comfortably fit one of my dads socks on around it. I did need a hand getting around at school since its kind of hard to carry school supplies and use crutches at the same time, but otherwise it wasn't all that bad. But then, I was a kid and kids tend to bounce back from such things a little easier. I think it helped that my parents refused to let me slack off/ or baby me.

Comment

He should be fine soon, I'm kinda surprised the doc said therapy since I only needed it when I broke my ankle too. Make sure that he does what the doctor recommends on moving the ankle and all that. Not doing that and babying it is the worst thing he can do. It might hurt doing it now but it will be far worse later since the muscles won't regain their strength and be hard to move.
      That being said, he doesn't need 24/7 care like his Mommy can give. He is a grown up, kids don't even need that kind of care with a sprain. It's not that bad, he is being a baby. If he whines tell him at 19 I made it around a hilly campus on crutches with a broken ankle daily and I was on crutches for far far longer then he will be. My doctors were perfectly fine with that and encouraged me to stay active, as long as I didn't do anything stupid. He shouldn't be on them more then a couple weeks, and crutches are a easy to get used to. Don't let him just sit around and mope, don't wait hand and foot on him. I've no doubt if the doctor found out about that he would wonder why the heck you did that. If him and his Mommy don't like it, they will just have to understand you are doing it out of love, and him babying himself will do no good.
      My family is into the tough love no whining thing. Sorry if I sound too harsh but, having sprained both ankles and broken one I can assure you. It's not that bad.
      I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

I sprained my ankle when I was a kid. Mum and Dad took me to the doctor to make sure I hadn't done anything worse - greenstick fracture or anything.

Then Dad kept my ankle in an elastic bandage for a couple of weeks (as in, morning and night he'd replace the bandage with a clean one).

No other special treatment. The only break I was given on household chores was that I didn't have to carry wet laundry or anything like that - I still helped hang them out. And I was allowed - and encouraged - to keep playing as usual.

I'd recommend getting him two or three ankle supports in his size, one to wear and one or two to wash. He wears an ankle support all the time. If his doctor thinks he needs it, he can use a crutch or a pair of crutches. Otherwise, he should do all his usual activities.

If you can afford it, go to a sports store or a medical/physiotherapy place, and get a wobble board. (Basically, half a plastic or rubber ball, with a board on top of it. You put the ball on the floor, and stand on the board.) Have him stand on it for gradually increasing amounts of time every day. Once he can manage thirty seconds, have him try moving around on it.
        NOTE: do this only after the doctor says it's okay to. But it's one of the best damn exercises for the ankles (and knees & hips!) available.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

patiokitty has some good advice. I fractured my ankle a few years ago and have been prone to sprains and twists ever since. He is probably overreacting because it feels worse than it is - ie, it's physically painful but not that painful, it just becomes a big deal because you realize how little you can do when your mobility is temporarily impaired. He really should be able to put some weight on it within a couple days and not using it at all will actually make his recovery much slower. PRICE is a good system to follow. Pick up a brace or two and some wide ace bandages. I would speak to the doctor or the physical therapist about what physical therapy he is recommending, if it is just wobble board and/or resistance exercises against some sort of strap, those things you can buy pretty cheaply and do on your own. I would actually be surprised if more than that was necessary. He may just need one or two sessions to show him how to do it and then may be able to do the exercises at home instead if you'd rather buy the equipment.

Anyway, hoping he recovers quickly!

Comment

Wow, lots of great advice! Thanks everyone!!

I figured that it couldn't be that bad. He apparently has to go to physical therapy for twice a week for 3-6 weeks. Hopefully it won't last that long. Not only is it pricey (even with insurance, we're in the US), but the only times they can schedule him for are MASSIVELY inconvenient for me. And I work about 45 minutes away from home. Hopefully, since we live in the same household, I'll be able to use sick leave since I can do that to care for a family member.
            "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

I was, at one time, walking (hobbling) around with two sprained ankles. I did one, which made me even more clumsy, so the 2nd one went. Then, we went camping in the mountains. Steep walkways, stairs in the cabin, lots of fun. I totally survived. I wore those high-top athletic shoes that were popular in the 80s. If I could do it, your boyfriend will be fine.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I've had many sprained ankles, most recently my right ankle last April.

BF must NOT baby it.

Ice for 48 hours, 20 mins on, 4 times a day. Then heat, 20 mins on, 4 times a day.

He should ice it after PT, 20 minutes.

Ibuprofen (motrin), as directed by his physician.

Range of motion exercises several times a day EVERY day. This consists of moving the ankle in every normal movement conceivable: circular, extension/flexion, pronation and suppination (turning side to side). Push it until hit starts to hurt, then stop. Increase ROM a little bit every day.

Consistency with PT exercises at home. He'll be given resistance exercises to do at home as well as at PT. He needs to do them.

Elevate it when sitting or laying down on pillows.

If he's been told to wear a brace, wear it. If he supposed to use crutches, use them.

Sprains take 6-8 weeks to heal. He should be able to walk without crutches or a brace after a couple of weeks. The soreness and stiffness will persist for a while. Consistent work on PT will prevent build up of scar tissue that increases the risk for a break in future sprains.

My ankle is almost back to normal. No pain, very little stiffness, no loss of range of motion. It's been about 10 weeks now.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I sprained my ankle in high school. It was a mild sprain; only had it wrapped for a couple days, no crutches or anything, and I got out of gym class for a week. I don't even know how I did it.

If he whines, tell him my college roommate did several shows of the school play, which involved her dancing and stomping on a wooden stage in two-inched-heeled shoes, with a broken foot. (She broke it when she tripped on the steps behind the set during a rehearsal, and she begged the doctor to let her do the play, and he said she could do it as long as she was on crutches whenever she wasn't on stage and she came back to get it casted as soon as the play was done.)
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Now he's telling me that he can't go to a cookout with my mom and I this weekend because he "hasn't gone to physical therapy yet and doesn't know what he can and can't do."

Really? It is possible to give yourself a permanent disabilty by going to a...cookout? Where there's plenty of chairs to sit in all day long?

Pray for me, guys!!!

Comment

Show him what we said. There is even a nurse saying he will be fine. OR he can call the PT office and ask if he will be ok to do it. Honestly if it was me I'd say ok and just go to the picnic myself. No arguments from me, but don't expect me to go awww poor baby is hurt, sympathy yes, but babying nope.
                      Men are such babies when they hurt. What ever you do don't let him get away with not doing what the doctor says, if he doesn't do it tattle to the doctor on him. Remind him if he doesn't do his PT he will be worse off.
                      I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Well, it's been getting a little bit better. He's been getting around and actually drove today, so I won't have to accompany him to his PT appointments. I also convinced him to go to the cookout with me. I think he's just milking it and is realizing that he can't go on like this for too long

Thanks again to everyone for convincing me that I'm not a bad gf!

Comment

Working...
                        X