X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech help - but not computer related

I wasn't sure where to post this.
    As I said, its a technical question, but relates to a car stereo, and not a computer.
    My friend just bought a used car, and the radio is locked.
    He asked the people he bought it from, and they said they had never entered a code for the radio.

The battery was replaced, and ever since, the radio has been locked. Apparently, this is very common.

Does anyone know how we can get an unlock code?

It's a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix.
    Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Not sure it will help, but the make of the radio might help.

Also..random website http://www.radio-code.com/?gclid=CN_...FQwaQgodSTCchg
    Last edited by Mytical; 09-13-2011, 10:26 PM.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

that sounds like something a dealer should be able to help with, would most likely need the VIN and if its easy to get to (which it probably isn't knowing GM) the serial number for the radio. things like that are in place to prevent theft. but make it worse if the radio dies and you have to replace as you have to get it from a dealer or other source.
      This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
      my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Sometimes there are shops that specialize in unlocking locked electronics. They may be a little shady, I don't know how much they check into whether a person got hold of a device legitimately. But see if you can find one, and call them up and ask if they do car stereos.

Comment

Yeah, the frustrating part is that it's an anti-theft feature, so when a person legitimately needs to unlock the code, it looks bad for them.

I think my friend is going to try going to the manufacturer and explain what happened with the battery. Hopefully, using the VIN and stereo serial number, he can get the code.

My daughter's boyfriend suggested just pulling out the stereo and replacing it, but that's not practical or cost effective from my point of view, and wouldn't the same thing happen again with a new stereo?

Comment

Ree: no, the new stereo wouldn't have that issue - if you make sure
            Is the anti-theft feature aftermarket, or from dealer?
            Try this: http://www.ehow.com/reset-radio-codes/
            It needs a code to start it back up. Did the car come with it's owner's manual? Does the car have a card with a code in it anywhere?

It's like a reboot but needing a password to get past BIOS. (yea yea I think in puter language)
            Plus, once it's fixed, save the password and procedure and put it in the glovebox!
            In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
            She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Taken from:
              http://autoforumz.com/Pontiac-Help-u...pict40505.html

GM DELCO THEFTLOCK RADIO UNLOCK CODE:
              1. Press and hold presets 2 and 3 for about 5 to 10 seconds until you
              get 3 digits on your display. This is the first 3 of 6 digits you will
              need, so write 'em down.
              2. After doing step one and writing down the code, immediately press
              the
              AM/FM button to get the last 3 of the 6 numbers you'll need, and write
              'em down. (if you wait too long between steps 1 and 2 and the LOC code
              displays again, just start over).
              3. Call this number, it's a prerecorded message, so don't worry about
              having to talk to anyone...1-800-537-5140. The voice will ask if
              you're
              calling for Chevy, Pontiac, Cadillac, etc... When you here him tell
              you
              to press "2" for Pontiac, press 206010 and hit the # key. He'll ask
              you
              for the 6 digit code that you've written down. Enter that and press
              the
              * key. He will then give you a code, and the option to get additional
              digit codes, but one should be sufficient.
              4. Follow the normal procedure in your owners manual for unlocking the
              radio with your new code...press the hour set button on your radio
              until
              you get the first two numbers of the code, then press the minute set
              button until you've entered the last two numbers. Immediately press
              the
              AM/FM button once the correct code is entered and the code SEC or
              "secured" will be displayed on the display screen. Now, just turn the
              radio on, and your ready to roll.
              There is an additional step you can take to remove all codes from the
              radio and start from scratch by entering your own personalized 4 digit
              code so that it won't get you in a pickle again! Just repeat step 4
              and
              you should get a display screen that reads ---. This means the code is
              out, and you can now program your own code. Of course, once you
              receive
              the 4 digit code from the GM recorded message, just keep it in a safe
              place, because you can use that same code again and again should you
              have any more problems with it in the future. Good luck, and yes, it
              does work.

If the above doesnt work http://radiounlock.com/default.aspx will unlock it for $2.50
              Last edited by Imprl59; 09-14-2011, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Quoth Der Cute View Post
                Is the anti-theft feature aftermarket, or from dealer?
                I believe it came originally with the car.
                Quoth Der Cute View Post
                Did the car come with it's owner's manual? Does the car have a card with a code in it anywhere?
                It does have the owner's manual, but there doesn't seem to be anything written down, or a card with any kind of code.

Thanks, Imprl59.
                I will give that to my friend and see if it works for him.

I will definitely let you know.

Comment

Working...
                X