This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair Advice

Right, my hair is starting to get out of control at this point, and I need some advice.

Nearly three years ago now, I started growing my hair out, and I have no intention of cutting it anytime soon. Outside of work I either wear it down or with a mini ponytail, to keep it out of my eyes. In work, I wear it taught pulled back, cause, well, I'm not sure how work would look at me wandering around with big floppy hair.

Now the issue. My hair is curly as all get out, but thankfully still grows down rather than out. The problem is that not long after it dries in the morning, it gets frizzy as all get out. I look like I've been electrocuted by the time I leave work at 4.

I wash my hair with Fructis for Frizzy Hair (or something like that), and condition with the same brand and line every morning, except when I have to use T/Gel, which is unavoidable.

Now, keeping in mind I absolutely don't have time to blow dry my hair in the mornings, does anyone have any product recommendations to help reduce the frizz?

(Honestly never thought I'd put this much thought into my hair, really).

Wash your hair the night before and use a flat iron on it in the morning. My hair is a mess but a good flat iron works like a charm and takes 10 minutes. My old, shitty Walmart flat iron took 15 or 20 minutes, and was still worth it. Plus, that's the time with thick, long hair.

Comment

Maybe try not washing it so often? It could be so frizzy because it's dried out. Even though you use conditioner, washing your hair frequently will still dry it out. I only wash my hair twice a week, which I know sounds gross but it's very healthy and shiny and not frizzy (when I comb it anyway, lol.) Maybe try washing it every other day instead of every day.

Comment

The only time my hair isn't frizzy is when I feel its gross from too much conditioner or having gone too long without a wash.

But my best friend says it's soft and silky at those times.

<shrug>
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I don't use any product on my hair, nor shampoo. Instead I wash my hair with a baking soda - water mix, and then a vinegar - water mix. My hair is less oily, less frizzy, and in much better shape. I'm not on my computer right now, but I can get you the link to the site I got the idea from sometime tomorrow evening.
          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I'd recommend leave in conditioner, and washing every other day. On the "off" day, use a non-volumizing dry shampoo, if you have absolutely no time to heat treat your hair.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I always use a shampoo with ammonium lauryl sulfate instead of SLS. I don't know why, but it seems less drying. I use an inexpensive conditioner because
              I have to use a palmful to get tangles/loose hair out. Then I always use a better conditioner (I like all the ones by Freeman) as a leave-in. I scrunch it into my drenched hair, then scrunch in gel or mousse with PVP in it. I then wrap it in a micofiber towel for 20 minutes before air-drying (except in the dark, cold recesses of winter when I diffuse-dry, which is maybe a month out of the year). I get compliments from customers all the time. My curls are close to the pattern of Julia Roberts'. Also, I think you really have to get rid of the idea that curly hair is not professional; it's an old idea from the early 90s.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I have long long and curly/wavy hair. I do like a lot of people here. I've started using a non-sulfate shampoo, wrapping my hair in a microfiber cloth to dry (or at least mostly dry) and using a wide tooth comb instead of a brush. I also try to avoid shampooing it every day unless there is a very good reason. Over all - there is more curl than I am used to since I am not pulling the brush through several times daily, but there seems to be a lot less frizz.

Comment

I would wash your hair at night and braid it into a few small braids to sleep in. Then run a product like "frizz ease" by John Frida through it before you braid it. That should help.
                  I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

My hair is what I like to call 'loose curls'. My hair is thick, big and very poofy/frizzy. It got to the point that up until a couple of years ago, I wouldn't leave it down unless I straightened it.

I don't have a set shampoo that I always use. It's generally whatever my hair dresser recommends or something that's on sale and is for curls. Though I'm definitely going to be looking at it better after reading the previous posts.

I use a product called Morrocan Oil. I use about a quarter sized drop and work it in damp hair. I can air dry or blow dry and leave the house. I've never really been able to do that without doing a half-up do.

They have a leave-in conditioner for curly hair, too, but I haven't tried it yet. I still have a lot of the oil left, lol.

Also, I don't wash it every day; max 3 times a week though I prefer only twice. If I have somewhere special to go to, yeah, I'll wash it more often, but I try to keep it to two.
                    Last edited by Slayer; 10-08-2011, 05:50 AM.

Comment

I learned everything I needed to know from naturallycurly.com. It's a good site. Lots of members have pictures, so it helps to find your "hair twin" and ask her what she does, since there are so many types of curl patterns and thicknesses. My only issue is getting it to look good on non-wash days. I can usually get by with spritzing water and air-drying, but not always.
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

This is the site I was talking about.
                        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Working...
                        X