This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamin D Issues

So my doctor has told me I have a very severe vitamin d deficiency, to the point where I'm taking 1500mg a week for three weeks, but didn't really explain what that can do to the body. She did mention I shouldn't take any other vitamins so I don't accidentally overdose on vitamin d. I was just wondering if there is anything I can do after I'm off the pills to keep it at a normal rate. I don't really drink a lot of milk, and I can't STAND fish. The smell alone makes me almost sick so the cod liver oil is out since it makes you smell like a fish.

I also have a low white blood cell count that they are retesting in a couple weeks to check but I'm under the vague impression it might be because of the vitamin d. I just don't know what's going on, anyone have any non-medical type advice or a place I can find some info for myself on what might be happening? Could this be because of the vitamin d? I have an appointment the 27th but until then I'm in a bit of a panicky state. I hear low blood cell count and instantly think HIV and AIDS because my father has it though I'm fairly sure that's not the case since if it was that low they would have had me come in right away.

First of all, if you have nutritional problems, my first advice is to contact a health professional with appropriate training, who can help you plan a healthy and satifying diet.

My two cents: When it comes to vitamin D, I'd say that eggs, dairy and sunlight are your best bet, diet-wise. If you want to and can afford it, you may want to consider vitamin supplements of some kind. Your doctor can help you better than I can with that.

Remember that there are a lot more dairy products than milk. Your body can synthesise certain forms of vitamin D if exposed to sunlight, so go lie in the park with a book for an hour a day. If you're lucky, you can get a doctor's note to show your boss.
    The customer is always right, but this is a public house, and you are a guest.

Comment

Moved to Life Advice, as Sickbay is for medical people to vent, and not for seeking this type of advice.
      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Don't worry, you are a lightweight - I have a bottle of 60 000 [yup, sixty thousand IU] vitamin D gelcaps from my hyperparathyroidism days.

You are not taking enough to trigger hypercalcemia, insomnia, loss of appetite, bone loss or nausea, but you can get IIRC something on the order of the equivalent to 25000 IU by laying out in the sun with maximum skin exposed for 15 minutes per day.

I would recommend you watch out for excessive peeing, nausea, abdominal and long one pain [feels like someone suddenly cracking you on the forearm or thigh with the edge of a ruler for no particular reason, you can't point to the *exact spot* of the pain, it sort of shades in and out along the bone and generally after the sharp crack feeling it fades quickly to a dull ache for a few hours]

Being under medical care is half the battle. Vit D deficiency is pretty easy to combat. You don't need to eat fish[that is more omegas than D typically] Sunlight works just fine
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

with all vitamins there are effects on the body from having too little, and from having too much.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...megadoses.html

However always consult with your doctor first on what you should and shouldn't take, and how much. Remember, vitamins in the US fall under different regulations than do other medications. http://www.fda.gov/food/dietarysuppl.../ucm110417.htm

Although through diet & sunlight alone you shouldn't be able to overdose on D. Although, you may need to make adjustments based on where you live (some regions get less sunlight) and your skin color (darker skin tones may require longer exposure). But still the doctor should have made recommendations for you at the visit.

Comment

You and me both on taking the horse pill of D. But I take mine now weekly and most likely will continue to take it weekly. I may or may not get started on B shots as well.

Sucks but until they can figure out why your so low it's nice to have the back up.

Comment

oderless cod liver oil (and st clements orange/lemon version) is avaliable. :-)

Comment

Freeze the fish pills, chug 'em, and that helps.
                In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Your body typically makes vitamin D. You need to get adequate sunshine in order for your body to transform cholesterol into the vitamin. Low amounts in the body could indicate a liver or a kidney problem (both are involved in transforming vitamin D into its biologically active forms). The reason dairy products are often fortefied with vitamin D is that it's neccessary for calcium absorption and regulation. Without vitamin D, your body will start breaking down your bones to get at the calcium it needs. (Calcium is necessary for things such as your heart to beat correctly). Vitamin D also plays a role in the production of white blood cells. So, if you've got a Vit. D deficiency, a low WBC count is likely to be due to that.
                  Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Working...
                  X