This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rethinking Life

I'm fairly new here but figure I'd post this here for that exact reason.

Back in June I took a three week vacation and spent two and a half of that driving around the country. There were a number of reasons for the trip. One was to get away from work for a bit. I spent a lot of time thinking about work. I can't see me working there for the rest of my working life. And I'm done living to work. The trip brought that into focus. I'll work to live and do things I want, but my boss doesn't own me and I certainly don't live for punching a clock.

I'm going to be making changes in my life soon. I don't know what, but I'll be doing it. I've thought of everything from selling life and health insurance, and had even signed a contract to start, but decided against it because it would demand more time than I'm willing to commit to it. I've thought about picking up my P&C insurance license, thought about driving truck, selling cars, and any number of other things. I've even gotten more serious about my photography recently. Shoot, I've even thought of wandering over to the theater around the corner and seeing if I can get into a management program with them.

I returned from GenCon a bit ago and I've got to say that going into work tomorrow is going to be tougher than going in after my 3 week vacation. It is going to be a long week.
    I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Big decisions to make. Consider carefully.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Here's a guidebook that you might find useful.
      Good luck.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I have always said that when you get up in the morning and you say "Do I have to go back to that job?" then it is time to start looking for a new job.

Good luck!
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Antares View Post
          Shoot, I've even thought of wandering over to the theater around the corner and seeing if I can get into a management program with them.
          What kind of theatre is it? If you are interested in house managing PM me - I was one for 5 years (that is about the limit for doing that job IMO). Most theatres have all kinds of positions other than that - ones that are more 9-5 such as running the capital campains, courting sponsers for the season's events, running the education program - depends on what kind of theatre / programs they run.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
            I have always said that when you get up in the morning and you say "Do I have to go back to that job?" then it is time to start looking for a new job.

Good luck!
            I have that thought everyday. Today I was wondering how many times I could call off before they'd figure out I quit.

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
            Here's a guidebook that you might find useful.
            Good luck.
            I'll see if I can pick up a copy of that from the library.
            I'd tell you where to go, but I work there and I don't want to see you everyday.

My photo blog.

Comment

When I purchased my new computer I apparently forgot move my resumes to my backup hard drive. Today I hooked up my old computer, moved them to the backup drive and onto my new computer.

I'm on the hunt.

My photo blog.

Comment

Antares, I vote for Dropbox. You upload, it lives there, it's accessible from everywhere, and, well, I like it. Here's my "link" for it. http://db.tt/viKsD6Jw . Invite friends, you get a bit more storage. But for your usage, text, docs, you're fine.
                I do save my stuff on a hard drive, usb stick and up there. Just in case I need it quickly. (ie puter has no internet but I need to spiff it up right now). And things do sync.

Check it out.
                Also try "What Color is My Parachute?"
                In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

I found out Friday that I didn't get a job that I was really hoping that I would get. After the last couple of days at work, I don't know if I can go back in for another round of stupidity and suck.

My photo blog.

Comment

Please don't be too discouraged! I have been looking for something new as well and it just hasn't come yet. I'll keep trying though. I think we'll find what we're looking for

If it makes you feel better, I also hate my job. I schlepped my way through school and found something that was *kind of* in my field. Found out I hate it and at this point would like a crappy mall job!

Comment

I'm still here. Typing from the cafeteria on my phone.

I've got some other options I'm looking into. One would mean a >40% paycut but if offered the job, I'm going to seriously consider it.

My photo blog.

Comment

Provided you can live with the pay cut, it might be well worth your while. A good paycheque is small comfort if you absolutely hate going in to work each day.

Good luck!

Comment

That's kinda what I've thought. I could still make my bills with that kind of pay cut, but it would really limit what I'm able to do. Right now I'm lucky enough to be able to do pretty much what I want when I want and I just wrote the checks today that will pay off my outstanding consumer debt.

Making the transition from that to having just a little bit more than I need is hard for me to get my head wrapped around.

We'll see what I can work out.

My photo blog.

Comment

The real problem is I'm going to get painted into a corner where I'm either going to have to do something unethical (in my book) or quit.

My photo blog.

Comment

I had an interview Friday with the main campus hospital. I'm hoping things work out.

If not, I have two other things that are in the works, but are not guaranteed.

My photo blog.

Comment

Working...
                              X