X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday Reminder - Personal Security

Or PERSEC

Normally I call it "OPSEC" but that's for operations. PERSEC is for what you do in your day-to-day life. It can entail everything from how you fortify your home, what you talk about online or in person, or how observant you are of what's going on around you.

Anyway, it's the holidays. Not everyone can afford as much as they'd like so sometimes select individuals take to helping themselves to other people's stuff. So ... here's some tips on how to protect yourself.

1) Double check the locks. If you normally don't lock the door when you take the dog for a walk - start doing it. You never know.

2) Keep the door locked when you're home. Just because you're home doesn't mean someone won't be desperate enough to try anyway.

3) If you're going to be away for the holidays don't use the traditional timed lights. If someone's casing your house they'll figure out the lights always turn on at 6pm and off at midnight. I mean use timed lights sure - but you can get them now with a random function, so it won't be so obvious.

4) Look around the neighborhood. We all know what's "normal" where we live. Or what faces seem familiar if we've been there long enough. If something seems different, perhaps it's worth taking notice of.

For example there was a "new face" a couple of weeks ago at the dumpster on a Sunday. I don't know *everyone* in the immediate area but he just looked out of place. Turned out he was a dumpster-diver.

and that brings up ANOTHER important part of PERSEC. INFORMATIONAL PERSEC.

A) Holiday bills/needs bring out dumpster divers too. shred or burn your personal information. The LAST thing you need to do is let some dumpster-diver get ahold of your financial statements.

The rule in our household is ... if it has our names, addresses, personal information it gets shredded. UPS labels get the butane lighter - the heat blackens all the ink. Even my resumes get shredded.

B) Don't tell strangers your personal shit. They don't need to know when/if/where you're going for vacation. In fact you should be careful who you blab to even with people you know. You never know who's going to be tempted. ***Especially on line***

I mean don't be a total stranger and act like "i can tell you but then I'd have to kill you" but limit whom you spill everything to. Neighbors can be an asset when you're away, but they can also be the source of your problems too.

c) Consider where you store the gifts - and who knows what gifts are there. Gone are the days when the biggest worry was "prying eyes" ... these days you have to worry about who might steal your stuff. So don't just consider how to hide stuff from the kids - but consider how to secure it from others... and consider who *know* what you'll be having too.

I bring that part up on the informational security side because... sometimes a theft isn't just a stranger, but someone who knew exactly what they wanted to take. so say, you're giving the kids "tickets to that thing they want"; who else knows about it? who might be tempted to relieve you of this item?

(and yes it can be hard thinking of people you know as "potential thieves" ... I personally look at it as "I'm not putting temptation in front of them". kinda like mom's old rule of "don't leave money out if your friends are over.")

Anyway just a smattering of ideas. Feel free to add your own.

Two things:

2 - Do this in the car. Pretty much always. The stuff that's in there when you're not driving can be replaced, but you can't.

B - Again, not just for the holidays, but take care what you post to your social media circles. Don't post the "Having a wonderful time in Cabo" pics until they've become "Had a wonderful time in Cabo."

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

!!! Yes! Very good point about the car. Whenever I'm in the car my purse goes on the floor. If it's on the seat it may be a temptation.

and B - yeah that also ties in a bit with the "post personal information at your own risk" thread on the rules/news page too.

Comment

Speaking of purses, if you carry one of those "my entire life is in this bag" purses, you should consider either paring it down to something less tempting for thieves, moving the really important stuff to a clutch or wallet you carry separately on your person, or carrying it messenger style with the strap on the opposite shoulder.

With holiday shopping in full swing, the likelihood of a person having cash and/or small gifts in their bag goes up enough to make purse snatching a lot more lucrative.

I, personally, keep my stuff in a wallet (I don't wear make-up, so that reduces my need to carry much stuff with me) and the other things (such as lip balm, gloves, etc) lives in my coat pockets. If I really need more stuff with me, I've got small bags that can travel easily but don't need to be on my person at all times.

Also: more year-round safety about the car: Keep the important and fancy stuff out of sight. Not only is the trunk often more secure, it also keeps a more stable temperature than the passenger compartment, and should you be unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident, items in the trunk aren't going to become projectiles that can cause injury to passengers.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I always lock my apt door, whether I'm home or not. I don't, however, lock it when I go downstairs to the laundry , which is a building away. I always lock my car doors, even if I'm in it. My friend suffered a carjack while he was waiting at a light with doors unlocked. He's fine, lesson learned.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I witnessed a bout of road rage once which involved the angry person trying to get into the other person's car.
            My best friend was stopped at a traffic light and someone came up to her and tried to open her car door.
            My mother's wallet was stolen while she was in the house. In the next room!

So yes, I completely agree. Lock your house up. Keep valuables out of sight. Be aware that a christmas tree with a cluster of presents under it is incredibly tempting to a thief.
            Give serious consideration to your house layout. If you own a home which has an entry room which could as easily be a dining area (fewer valuables in sight) as a TV/media room (lots of valuables in sight); make the entry room the few-valuables one. Ditto with any other room which is visible from the street.
            If that's not possible, consider covering the windows with one of those films which makes it hard to see inside.

Give some thought to your front garden/street presentation. Does yours look like the wealthiest house on the block? If so, take some of the 'rich' looking things and put them out the back or somewhere else instead. Yes, it's tempting to make your house look good: but you can have a lovely garden/patio/front walk without having one that screams at thieves 'this place has stuff worth having'.

Similarly, it's safer theft-wise to have a less fancy vehicle that suits your needs than a fancier, flashier one. And to not have designer-label handbags, etc, etc. (Though with cars, do check with your police/car club to find out which makes and models are being stolen for the black-market parts market. They're often the most popular makes and models; rather than the fancy ones. The fancy ones get stolen for joyrides and broken into for the contents.)

Essentially, if you present yourself and your stuff as not worth stealing from, the thieves are likely to aim for your less sensible neighbours.
            Last edited by Seshat; 12-14-2012, 10:32 PM.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

On the "lock the car when you're in it" topic, the reason I always remember this is because my driver's ed instructor in high school commented that some crazy guy had gone up to a senior's car while the car was stopped for a light, opened the driver side door, and stabbed the kid in the chest before running off.

I'm giving odds that the story didn't really happen, but it's the kind of thing that sometimes does, and it's a simple and easy thing to protect against.

^-.-^

Comment

Oh, and don't let anyone convince you that looking after your own safety is "paranoid".

Comment

As for personal safety, I have lectured my nieces many times on how to handle a would-be attacker, and here I offer the quick edit version of that. To wit: the most vulnerable parts of the body are the scrotum, the knee, the eyes, and the throat. And in an attack situation, there is no such thing as a "fair fight." Everything is on the table, period. Anyone who says differently has never been attacked by someone larger than them.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

In a fight, your goal is escape, especially if there are lights-and-people nearby. Slam the hard parts of your body - elbows, knees, braced-fists, back of the skull - against the soft parts of theirs. Jester named most of them; but also feel free to break their nose for them.

When they are busy being injured, run run run TO lights-and-people. And scream.

If you can easily do so, toss your keys under a car, while they're able to see. That will almost certainly distract them.

Once you're in among a group of people, you're mostly safe. Most attackers won't follow you.
                    To avoid 'bystander effect', find a person (preferably someone who looks like a can-do sort of person) and make it their problem. "Help me!" is good. "Call the cops" is even better. A direct instruction.

Regarding those keys: don't have the model or make of your car anywhere on the keyring. And DEFINITELY don't have your address, or your name. Do have a distinctive - even unique - keyring fob. Photograph it, keep a photo on your phone. That way if you lose your keys, they can be uniquely identified as yours: but a finder or a thief can't trace them back to you.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                      Speaking of purses, if you carry one of those "my entire life is in this bag" purses, you should consider either paring it down to something less tempting for thieves, moving the really important stuff to a clutch or wallet you carry separately on your person, or carrying it messenger style with the strap on the opposite shoulder.
                      Something I do quite frequently, since I am guilty of having several of those "my entire life is in these purses", if you have a vehicle with a trunk - lock your purse in the trunk when out shopping and just carry your keys and debit/credit card(s) in your pants pocket.

This is done a lot when I'm out shopping and Mom decides to go inside with me instead of staying out in the car (ie, at Wallyworld when we're getting our first of the month grocery shopping done.) My debit card goes in a front jean pocket (I don't use the back pockets of my jeans, as I cannot see behind me (also encourages pickpockets IMO.)

Mom likes those carpenter's jeans, which have the side pockets down around the knee . . . makes a good place.to put those debit cards too.

Keys have a belt hook to them, so I just clip them onto a belt loop - iPhone on the other side either hooked onto the belt or the top of my front pocket and I'm set. Both hands are free, I don't have my purse dragging down my bad shoulder (I'm a leftie - most women carry their purses on their right shoulder - mine goes on the left) and purse is safely locked up in the trunk.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I never buy a handbag I can't carry messenger-style, across my body. The only 'life in my bag' exception to that is my wheelchair bags: one straps to the back of the wheelchair, the other fits neatly beside me in the wheelchair proper.

I carry the stuff that must be secured in the wheelchair with me, the one on the back holds my shopping, plus the non-prescription meds, tissues, etc. Usually I need to be pushed, so there's a friend between that bag and potential thieves anyway.

Unfortunately, I NEED a certain amount of 'life in my bag': prescription emergency meds being the most vital. But I cut off a strip at a time, and just carry a few of them with me.

Comment

Here's one that I follow: If your computer can be seen from outside, close your blinds or drapes, especially if you're on the computer at night. The lighted screen is very easy to see from outside at night. Even if it's just the neighbors' driveway or yard that's directly outside your window. The guy next door to me has done time and has some skeezy friends. I don't want them looking into my house.
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                            Also: more year-round safety about the car: Keep the important and fancy stuff out of sight.
                            Also carry a wipe cloth if you have a windscreen mounted GPS or phone, thieves look for the suction cup mark at times.
                            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

It's very easy to just blow off personal security advice as a "it won't happen to me" kinda thing.

I currently have a friend who's been missing for some three weeks. She's not a kid, she's been around, she knows her shit...and she's missing. So don't think it can't happen to you. Because "you always think it won't happen to you" is one of those things you see people saying on the news after it happened to them or their loved ones.

So yeah. It CAN happen to you. Be smart. Take precautions.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X