This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a dummy; please answer a car registration (U.S.) question

....and they say I'm smart. :/ OK, so it's wet, heavy snow today. I went out to put my registration tag on my license plate. But, duh, I forgot to wipe the moisture off. So now it won't stick. Is there anything I can put on there to make it stick in the cold weather? Or can I request a new sticker from the DMV? I'm in WI, if that makes a difference. TIA
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

This is probably more of a handyman question as far as the "how do I get this thing to stick on" question goes.

I don't believe there is any law against using additional adhesive, beyond what is provided on the back of the sticker, as long as the sticker sticks to the plate, doesn't come off, and is readily visible. Of course, I am not now and have never been either a lawyer or a resident of Wisconsin, so I could be dead wrong on all of this.

And of course you can always call the DMV and ask them about this. It never hurts to ask. The worst thing they can do is say, "No, we won't give you another sticker." And then you're back to asking handymen about this sticky, or rather NON-sticky, situation.

And no, I am not now and have never been a handyman, either, so can't really help you on that part of it either, though personally I would use Super Glue. Florida doesn't require us to take the old stickers off before applying the new sticker, so I just stick them one on top of another...as long as only the one is visible, I'm golden.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

If it helps, the WI DMV site says you can request a replacement sticker and they'll mail it the next business day; says most of the time at no charge.

As for getting it to stick, I think if it shows that you used other means, it may get questioned. I don't know this for sure, just going by what some friends have said in the past. Heavy duty double-sided tape would probably do the trick.

I'd call or go to the DMV and just ask. It's always better IMO.

Comment

If it were me and I were in such a situation, I would take my registration and the non-sticky tag into the local DMV and request a replacement.

My guess is that they'd trade it out and that they probably run into this pretty regularly.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The one and only time I ran into this problem I took my plate off my car, took it inside, soaked the old sticker off with warm water, dried the plate, took some rubbing alcohol to remove the old adhesive residue from the plate and then stuck the new sticker on no problem.

I've never had to get a replacement sticker, but it never hurts to check into it like the others have said.

Comment

Your state allows you to order replacements here:

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers...p-stickers.htm

They can also take phone-in orders as well (but specify that you have license plate number or vehicle identification number ready.)

Comment

Both extreme heat and extreme cold affect adhesives.

If a replacement sticker doesn't work, take it to a good hardware store: the sort where there are people who really know their stuff. They'll know which adhesives work in your types of weather, and on what materials.

They'll help you choose the correct adhesive for the purpose.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

My guess is that when you tried to stick it to the damp plate, you got water on the adhesive, which is why it didn't stick after you wiped the plate dry and tried again. Probably too late for this time, but it might be an idea to bring the "non-sticky" sticker inside to let it dry off (if you put it back on the silicone release paper and it doesn't fall off, it's probably dried off enough). Try again, wiping the plate dry first. Helps if you have access to a heated garage.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I brought it inside and it dried out a bit, so I put it on waxed paper until I could get outside and try again. It ripped when I pulled it off, but I was able to get it on the plate in 2 pieces. It's crooked. I did ask for a new one online, and received a voicemail about it. I missed her and need to call her tomorrow.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                    I brought it inside and it dried out a bit, so I put it on waxed paper until I could get outside and try again. It ripped when I pulled it off, but I was able to get it on the plate in 2 pieces. It's crooked. I did ask for a new one online, and received a voicemail about it. I missed her and need to call her tomorrow.
                    Silicone release paper (what stickers of various types come attached to) is designed for the purpose of releasing stickers, waxed paper isn't. The sticker could stick to it too hard and tear (as happened to you), or (worse) pull a bit of wax away when removed from the wax paper, ruining the adhesive.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Move to NJ, have no need of stickers since our registration is a card you keep in your glovebox.

The crazy stuff some states do...
                      "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Every place that has stickers has your registration as a card in your glove box, too.

The stickers are just a time-saving device for the police. One that I have zero issue with.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Thanks, y'all. I got an email saying I answered the lady's question in the voicemail I left, so she has sent out a new sticker and will make sure my title is processed soon. She had even called me. They sure are nice at our DMV, despite the stereotype. I hope it warms up soon so I can put the new one on. It's 0° F right now. :/

Comment

"Stickers? We don' need no steenken stickers!"
                            (No such thing in the UK)

Comment

Quoth lineswine View Post
                              "Stickers? We don' need no steenken stickers!"
                              (No such thing in the UK)
                              What do they do in the UK?

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                              Every place that has stickers has your registration as a card in your glove box, too.
                              Indeed NY has window-stickers instead along with the registration paperwork for the glovebox.
                              I always make a habit of keeping the glove-box one tucked in with the insurance card just to keep stuff organized

Comment

Working...
                              X