X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not longer just lurking

Hi all,

I have been a lurker for quite a while now and I immensely enjoy reading all of your stories. Every time the post tells a story of pwnage, I cheer for the poster; every time an especially horrible/scary/gross story is told, I cringe with the rest of you and knock on wood, that so far I have been spared from such experiences.

I'm a professional translator (thus the user name, who would have guessed ), but I have also worked as a cashier in a supermarket and was a trainee in the hotel business. So far as a translator I have been quite lucky in regards to (post-able) customer stories, but from time to time even the luckiest ones take a hit.

One note before I get back to reading your stories: Even though I'm a translator (working from English into German, my mother-tongue), my grammar is far from perfect. So in case I write something that makes you fear for the future of your language, please feel free to let me know either in public or private. One is never too old to learn something.
    “If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

Welcome! Irasshai! Wilkommen! And all of that stuff

We're all quite friendly, here ^_^

So in case I write something that makes you fear for the future of your language, please feel free to let me know either in public or private.
    Preferably in private, guys, unless W4W specifically requests otherwise in a post
    Last edited by EricKei; 03-28-2014, 04:51 PM.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Words4theWorld View Post
      So in case I write something that makes you fear for the future of your language, please feel free to let me know either in public or private.
      I haven't been here that long, but I don't think you have to worry. Even though I grew up with spoken English and French, all my schooling took place in French and my English grammar and spelling are pretty bad. Nobody has pointed out any of the (I'm sure) thousands of mistakes I have made so far. Everyone here has been most friendly and welcoming to me, and I bet you will find the same.
      Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        Preferably in private, guys, unless W4W specifically requests otherwise in a post
        Even if it's something as deliciously funny as the "discunt" typo in a recent thread?

And Words, I'm gonna have to go a different route than our esteemed Mod here; W4W just makes me think of Craigslist Lesbians.

If it's not too personal a question and doesn't poke at your anonymity too much, what kind of translating do you do? Real time or written, business or diplomatic, etc. I can see some pretty heavy potential suck in any of them really, glad you've been fortunate so far.

Welcome aboard.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the hearty welcome all together! I really appreciate it.

Quoth sms001 View Post
          If it's not too personal a question and doesn't poke at your anonymity too much, what kind of translating do you do? Real time or written, business or diplomatic, etc. I can see some pretty heavy potential suck in any of them really, glad you've been fortunate so far.
          It's neither too personal nor do I fear for my anonymity. Plus, I'm my own boss so there's no fear of repercussions if I reveal too much.
          As a translator I only work with written texts; "real time" is done by interpreters (think of Nicole Kidman in "The Interpreter"). But as I'm quite content with working alone in front of my computer, where I can curse out loud from time to time if the need arises, I never considered that line of work. While my everyday work is dominated by a wide variety of texts from the technology and IT field, I'm also part of a team localizing games (computer and console) from time to time. Which, of course, are by far the most interesting projects.
          See, and just talking about that brings up the memories of an experience long past, which might be stuff for my first "real" thread out in the wild of the CS-forum. I think I found something to do over the weekend.
          “If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”
          ― Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

Comment

NC - There's a reason for that ^_^
            Quoth sms001 View Post
            Even if it's something as deliciously funny as the "discunt" typo in a recent thread?
            Running with a joke, intentional or not, is fine of course Just as long as it doesn't venture into Grammar Nazi territory. Of course, if someone asks "Is this how you say it?", feel free to answer.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Words4theWorld View Post
              As a translator I only work with written texts; "real time" is done by interpreters
              ah! I always thought those words were interchangeable. A little googling tells me they are pretty different skill sets as well. Interesting.

Comment

Working...
              X