Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many back threads am I gonna post anyway?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many back threads am I gonna post anyway?

Yup. Back again.

Got sick of delivery, again. Rage quit when the manager on duty asked me to do telemarketing and wrote me up for refusing... right after buying a new (to me - 2006 with 65k) car, with a hefty loan on it.

Found a job doing tech support with a sliver of sales for a large phone company/ISP. You probably haven't heard of them unless you're in the sticks though - Frontier Communications. Primarily I do tech support for DSL (and the occasional random dialup customer), though I'm expected to sell the same thing every ISP is pushing these days - antivirus, backup software, and identity protection. Decent base pay, excellent benefits, plus I get commission (though I'm not pushy at all with selling stuff - tell me no or say you're happy with what you currently have and I leave it at that).

I've been with them for about 7 weeks. So far it hasn't been bad at all - I'm already nailing nearly every metric they want on my calls except for aftercall (wrap), my call scores are good, I've already had a couple of customers call back and ask for management to compliment me.. and I've had a manager tell me I should start dressing like I'm in upper management.. for practice.

Definitely have my share of odd customers, and some truly WTF moments when I try to transfer calls to different departments (I usually hang out on the line for a little bit, on mute, while I finish up my notes.. I've had to jump back in a couple of times now).

Stories to come. I promise.

Rage-quitting so rarely turns out well that it's wonderful to hear that it apparently put you in the right place at the right time for a decent job; 'grats.

Oh lawsey! Dial-up support? I can't even imagine what that's like in this day and age. You should make yourself a modified 'swear' jar. Put a nickle in it every time a custy says "slow" and you'll be retiring in a year...

Comment

I was already looking for a reason to quit.

A year? Please. Try a month.. even on DSL.

We really don't get many dialup calls at all - everyone I've talked to says they get only a few every year.

Comment

My understanding is that your "rage quit" was that you had just spent a lot of money on equipment needed to do your job (upgraded car for delivery), and management ordered you to switch to a job where it wouldn't be necessary. You had probably mentioned the need to replace your car - if management wanted you in telemarketing, the time to reassign you would have been BEFORE you spent the money on another car.

With the dialup support calls, have you ever encountered a point in the script that requires them to do something while online? If they don't have a cellphone, that would really suck.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Bean. Stop leaving. Lol
          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            With the dialup support calls, have you ever encountered a point in the script that requires them to do something while online? If they don't have a cellphone, that would really suck.
            I've only had two dialup calls here - and one of them didn't even have a modem (the other just needed a password reset). We've been pushing to migrate them to satellite when we can.

The last time I did dialup support was in 1998 or 1999. It was for a small enough company that they could actually ask for me and get transferred to me..

The honeymoon may already be over, they're focusing very heavily on the sales aspect (and getting on my back about not having good sales). And rolling out device insurance.. I don't mind selling something I believe in (our antivirus + backup software is fantastic, actually a product I was already considering long before I worked here.. just direct from the OEM instead of through this company), but I've been burned every time I've had to make a claim when I had "insurance" on mobile devices through the company we're partnering with.

Comment

Working...
            X