This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You pay inside.

Hubs and I went to see Furious 7 last night (AMAZING movie, btw), and we got there right as the movie started. We were walking up to the (outdoor) ticket counter and noticed a group of about 8 people standing outside, saying things like, "Isn't there supposed to be someone out here?", "The movie's supposed to start now!" and "Are you sure they're open?" Upon closer inspection, there was nobody at the ticket counter. HOWEVER, there was a LARGE sign (one of those free-standing plastic ones that looks like a triangle from the side) that said, "Please buy tickets at concessions stand."

I stood next to the sign, pointed, and went, "Hey, guys!" A couple of them stopped, looked, and nudged their buddies before they all went inside. What really got me- one of them asked the others, "How did we miss that?" I was wondering that too, buddy.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Most movie theatres nowadays seem to encourage you to buy your tickets online or buy them at the concession stand.

My hometown local did the latter, while the larger national chain that's since become my local encourages the former, but does have a few stands for those who don't buy online/want to see a movie on impulse.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
      HOWEVER, there was a LARGE sign (one of those free-standing plastic ones that looks like a triangle from the side)
      A bit off-topic, it's called an A-frame.
      Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

At least they went with How did we miss that? than Well,they should have told us-how are we expected to see a sign there?
        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I hardly ever go to theaters anymore (did I mention, I hate people?) but I will sometimes let myself get talked into it... Both the new theaters (one is an IMAX) don't even have an outside ticket counter. You go inside and off to the side is the ticket counter and the other side is the concession stand. Then everyone is funneled down the center to get to the actual movies. It's pretty well planned, actually. That way, if there is some big opening, many people would be able to wait inside, instead of out in the rain.

This is similar to some restaurants who have a big stand which says "please wait to be seated" and on the other side "please seat yourself." And you walk in to see a bunch of people waiting when the stand says to seat yourself. They don't get why we just walk by them... One place I like is set up so I can watch the people at the door while I'm eating. It's so funny! Some even read the sign and debate whether they should find a seat themselves or wait. "Oh, it says to seat ourselves. But before they seated us. Maybe we should wait. Let's wait. That server is coming by, let's ask her!" And they catch the person carrying a huge platter and try to get her to seat them.
          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
            Both the new theaters (one is an IMAX) don't even have an outside ticket counter. You go inside and off to the side is the ticket counter and the other side is the concession stand.
            One- you have an IMAX? The only one within a day's drive of me is at a museum and plays museum movies only (in 2D. What's the point in being an IMAX theater if you're not going to do 3D?).

Two- the big theater up by my mom's house is indoors, and it has the counter set up with the tickets on one side and concessions on the other. Everyone gets into one long line for the two registers and it's a huge fudgecluster. They offer free refills on large drinks and popcorn but it's not even worth it if you're going to miss half the movie to get through the line. Not to mention, you need to get there half an hour early at least if you happen to want concessions with your movie.
            The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
              One- you have an IMAX? The only one within a day's drive of me is at a museum and plays museum movies only (in 2D. What's the point in being an IMAX theater if you're not going to do 3D?).

Two- the big theater up by my mom's house is indoors, and it has the counter set up with the tickets on one side and concessions on the other. Everyone gets into one long line for the two registers and it's a huge fudgecluster. They offer free refills on large drinks and popcorn but it's not even worth it if you're going to miss half the movie to get through the line. Not to mention, you need to get there half an hour early at least if you happen to want concessions with your movie.
              Spoiled, aren't I? Someone that I know who used to live near LA says that here it's sooooo back-woods, spread out, nothing to do. But my other friend who's from Alaska is like "wow, I don't have to drive three hours to get groceries!" So it's relative, right? Before they opened this theater, it was about an hour and a half drive to the nearest one. Unless you wanted to cross the border to the north.

That's unfortunate about the line. The one here works well, but it sounds like ours isn't as busy.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I've lived in both big cities and the backwoods and it really is relative, a 30-minute drive to get groceries is 30 miles in the backwoods and 5 miles in the city. It just means you can't really walk anywhere in the backwoods though.

Last I heard from my mom, they were renovating the mall the theater's in, and when the renovations are finished, there's going to be more room for the concessions stand and everything. It's set up a bit weird, where the concessions and ticket counter are outside the actual theater, in the mall.
                Last edited by Aragarthiel; 04-07-2015, 10:38 PM. Reason: Why was I speaking in past tense?

Comment

Working...
                X