This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guy lost his credit card!

Hubs and I were at the grocery store earlier picking up a few necessities, and decided to use the SCO. Just as we were finishing up, the guy at the SCO behind us called over to the attendant, "Um, ma'am, I lost my card!"

She goes over to find out what he means, did he drop it on the floor somewhere? Turns out, he set it on the little turntable thing the bagging area is on, and it fell between the turntable and the base for it, a gap MUCH too small for fingers!

We couldn't stick around to see if they managed to get the turntable up so he could get his card, but I really hope he did!
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

This is why mine never leaves my hand when I shop. I take it out, swipe it, immediately put it back into my wallet.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Ditto. I guessed once that there's enough loose change (at least) caught under the SCO belts to pay for coffee for the entire closing crew and night crew. There could very well be cash under the rollers at the end of the belt too. I've seen people put everything down there; one day the dork who was covering my break dropped the attendant card--not my card thankfully--between the rollers (and you put it down there why exactly?).

I constantly tell people to not put cash/cards on the register belts, but they do anyway...yes, there is a small drawer on the cashier side that slides out, but that generally only catches change. Anything larger gets caught at the roller where we can't get to it without closing the lane down and calling a tech.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
        We couldn't stick around to see if they managed to get the turntable up so he could get his card, but I really hope he did!
        Was that before or after he paid for the purchase?
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I think it was after, since his groceries were all in bags already. I suspect he set the card down to pick up the bags and one of the bags knocked it down there.
          The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post

I constantly tell people to not put cash/cards on the register belts, but they do anyway...yes, there is a small drawer on the cashier side that slides out, but that generally only catches change. Anything larger gets caught at the roller where we can't get to it without closing the lane down and calling a tech.
            What's this tech person? I had to reach into a hole underneath the rollers. it usually meant contorting your wrist in awkward angles and risking cuts and splinters (it was unfinished on the inside).

Comment

The sloped rubber bits at the end of the belt aren't all easy to pull up. Cards I can sometimes get with a bit of fiddling and a paperclip provided they haven't gone too deep, coupons and/or bills not so much (too light to fall into the tray so they usually get sucked into the roller immediately and fly into the big dusty space under the belt).

Officially we don't really need a tech for that, but do have to shut the lane down (and anyone brave enough to get underneath needs a dustmask). SCs tend to listen if I tell them "if you put that there we need to call someone in to get it out".
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Don't work in retail so never had this experience but....

...at the motel, someone let their kids play with an expensive iPhone. They slid it through the A/C vents, and it fell down deep within the unit. Had to tear it completely apart and still we were only able to *just* reach it.
                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Working...
                X