This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some stories from my days of yore

So, recent conversationstudy with my friends and co-workers have reminded me of my time working for a movie chain theatre about 15 years ago. No real order to these, just a collection of memories.

So, I am working outside in the box office one day (where you buy your tickets, and has all the show times listed) this guy comes up to me and asks "what's showing right now" and he is 100% serious. How do you not see the big assistance marquee over my head?

So, still working box office, and this was somewhat common. People thought to buy a ticket for a specific movie, they had to buy it from the employee under where the movie was listed on the marquee, quite strange.

This last is more suck you than brain burp, but the people who would try to use competitors cupons, and get mad at us for not acceptingredients them. Come on, we are the major store in our complex, with our name and logo huge on the building. How do you get us confused?

It's possible this person had some kind of vision problem. My dad can't read black-on-white signs very well due to his age and genetics related sight problems. He does better with big signs but the letters still blur enough that he struggles. He'd have to ask the person selling tickets what was showing if mom wasn't there to read the sign for him.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I used to get annoyed at people not reading the signs, but tolerance & greater knowledge of people's issues has tempered my judgment. One of my regulars has severe difficulty with details and has to practically touch his nose to the PIN pad to see the numbers, but can walk around & interact, even recognise people and read their expressions, without glasses or other aid.

We do get SO MANY people that assume the two ticket windows somehow sell different products though, but unlike the marquee we actually have identical signage over both!
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Bast can read the crucial traffic signs, such as speed limits, clearly enough. But getting the correct exit from a freeway is harder - the lettering is smaller, there's more information per sign, and it's white on dark-green instead of black on white.

It's not always straightforward, figuring out what people will be able to read.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
        X