This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obvious Date Error is (Not) Obvious

I spent some time as a paper pusher for a legal organization, and we often dealt with clients' driving records. I also had some co-workers who didn't seem all that bright.

I don't remember the details of the conversation--this happened a few years ago--but I can give you the gist of it.

I was reviewing a driving record and found what I thought was obviously a date error. I pointed it out to a co-worker, who tried to tell me that it was not an error. Another co-worker got involved. The two of them discussed the matter for a while as I watched in morbid fascination. Their discussion went in a loop, and neither could seem to agree until one of them suggested, "Maybe we should call the court where this traffic violation was charged and have them verify the information."

I couldn't take it anymore and butted in.

Me: We don't need to call the court and ask them to verify the information. We need to call the DMV to tell them it's wrong. Why? Because if *this* date is correct, then the client got a speeding ticket when she was nine months old!

They then conceded that I was correct.
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF
Working...
X