No wonder your checkbook doesn't balance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No wonder your checkbook doesn't balance

As the section says, I think this was just a brain burp. But as I was trying to explain it, I'm not sure the customer was getting it.

The customer asked me to help her balance her checkbook. We were showing she had over $900 more in her checking account than she thought she had. After looking at it, I found that she'd taken her balance, added in the checks that hadn't cleared, and found that it matched the balance on the statement we'd sent her. So far, so good. Her checkbook balances. Then she'd used her statement balance going forward. She'd effectively subtracted those checks twice, totaling over $900. When she went to balance her checkbook this month, she was over $900 off.

I tried to explain it to her. I put a correction in her checkbook ledger so it would balance, but she didn't seem to really understand. She did seem satisfied, however, that she should balance when she gets her next statement.

She's an older lady, so I hope she's not starting to get senile.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

When I worked at a bank I talked to so many people who didn't have checks, or a register, and had no concept what a checking account really is. "I have my debit card!". sigh. Where do you think those funds come from you nimrod?
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
      ...so many people who didn't have checks, or a register, and had no concept what a checking account really is. "I have my debit card!".
      For so many, their checking account is a prepaid debit card.
      Our megatax chain (and the IRS, come to think of it) have been trying to steer customers towards direct deposit. Here in the US, that requires a routing and account number. We've had to try to look those up online, customer service phone calls and smart phone apps.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
        For so many, their checking account is a prepaid debit card.
        Our megatax chain (and the IRS, come to think of it) have been trying to steer customers towards direct deposit. Here in the US, that requires a routing and account number. We've had to try to look those up online, customer service phone calls and smart phone apps.
        Reminds me of the old one-liner:

"What do you mean I'm out of money? I still have checks!"

I actually do have checks (or "cheques" for our Queen's English friends). I don't use them often, but I still have them.
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I've actually heard (when a card is declined, which could happen for any reason but the most common by far is NSF) "But it let me put my card in the thing!!" If only a card would explode in an SC's hand when NSF happened...
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I write about a dozen checks a year. Here in Smallville, not every business takes debit cards. My tax preparer said he'd have to add a surcharge to his bill to take credit or debit cards. Some take direct deposit, so I write checks to pay my property tax and the plumber who replaced the jet pump in the well.

My MIL called her son after her husband's death. He patiently talked her through balancing her checkbook. Then he said to turn over the statement from the bank, and the explanation of the process and a space laid out to do it was on the reverse side. Of course, this was back when banks didn't charge extra to mail out a statement every month. (1996)

She *could* do it, I'm a tad surprised in fifty years of marriage she never had.

Comment

Working...
            X