Car mechanic's brain burp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car mechanic's brain burp

Thursday, my car would not start. After my insurance company sent someone to jump-start the battery, I went to the auto parts store to replace it. Problem was, due to the way my car's engine is put together and the battery is installed, the auto parts store couldn't risk taking it apart to install the new battery. They jump-started my battery and I took it to my usual auto mechanic.

I didn't have an appointment, but they fit me into their schedule. It took a few hours because they had to order the battery, but they replaced it, got the car running and me on my way.

Monday, I went to work. I pulled into the parking lot, reached into the back to get the window shade... "Hey, what's that red thing in the back seat?" I took a closer look at it. Uh oh. I didn't know the name of it, but it was obviously a piece of equipment the mechanic left in my car!

I knew they'd likely need it, so I left work and drove to the mechanic. When I walked in, they looked rather oddly at me ("We fixed her car, what's she doing back?"), then when they saw what I was carrying in my hand, their expressions went, "Oh!"

It was their jumper box! They were quite glad to get it back. They couldn't figure out where it had disappeared to!
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

At least you returned it. So many wouldn't. Three cheers for you!
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

5 or so years ago, after a storm came through, I had to have the cable guy come out to my home to replace the drop from the pole to house after a limb off 75 foot tall weed disguised as a cottonwood tree took it out. He got everything back up and running, and looking good. About 10 mins after he left, I get a knock at my front door. He was back asking if he could retrieve his drill from my back yard. Thankfully, for him, the appointment after mine was my neighbor who also was having the dropped replaced from the same cottonwood.
      Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Back, oh a couple of decades or so now, I was having a new phone and cable line installed in my shoebox, er I mean "studio flat" (read: two attic rooms in a converted old house), as no previous tenant had ever felt the need to remain in contact with the outside world. After the installer got everything up & running and had moved onto their next job, I noticed they'd left behind their handset. You know the kind, the special ones that they use for testing the line works. Took them a day to come back for it.
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I specified/installed/serviced industrial card access and video systems for 30+ years. Some of our technicians (though better than evilhomer's)....

"You shall know them by the trail of their tools!"
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
          X