This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I put this where?

The other morning, I was home and let my coffee go cold...

So I walk over to the microwave to heat it up, set the timer for 45 seconds and walk away.

I hear the microwave beep thats its done and I open the door awaiting the hot caffinated goodness of life.... and theres nothing there!!!

Yeah, I had left the coffee sitting OUTSIDE the microwave and turned it on anywayz...

My husband wouldnt stop laughing at me...

Ahem...

... oh wait I've done that before too...

Comment

Thanks for making me break rule #1.

I've done that before too, so don't feel too bad.

Comment

I've done this

also went to go boil water for noodles...and 15 min later realized I didn't turn the stove on
        "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
        "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

I once left my fork in a bowl of pasta and microwaved it.

Thank god I remembered it and took it out after a few seconds.
          Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

I had the whole panic thing not that long ago...

I turned the oven to 375 to pre-heat it before putting my goodness in it.

1/2 hour later, it's stone cold.

PANIC!

Check the breakers, checks any fuses, get ready to call the landlord.
            And then realize that I forgot to set the thing to "BAKE" from "OFF".

B
            "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
            I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Ooh boy. Just remember that running a microwave without anything in it can severely damage it. It sounds like you got lucky that time, but if the magnetron goes due to a lack of a power sink in the chamber, that's basically it.

Comment

Once I put a pot of water for pasta in the kitchen and went to my room... and forgot about it....

Four hours latter, I suddenly remember and I ran sweating into the kitchen waiting to find it in fire!! when i get there I see I had forgoten to turn on the stove at all....
                I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

I really had a craving for deviled eggs, so I set about half dozen eggs to boil and went upstairs......for 30 minutes.

I then couldnt figure out why my house smelt like burning plastic and even called my husband at work to tell him that I was worried. He even asked me if I was cooking anything. Of course, I said no. About 10 minutes later i finally come wandering downstairs and actually look on my stove.

There went my pasta pot.

My house smelled for a week.

Comment

My cousin did a similar thing with a plastic container. She could smell burning plastic but thought she had left it sitting on the off hotplate so didn't go and check. Turns out she left it on the on hotplate. No idea why she had it on though

Comment

The lesson: if you smell something burning, follow the smell so you know what it is and can do something about it.

Watch out for hot doorknobs on your way though. You don't want to open the door to an inferno by accident.

I'll admit that I did once let my good saucepan overheat. It basically boiled dry - it had only a few drops of water in, and I'd turned on the wrong hob to boil the kettle beside it. It still has traces of burned stuff sticking to the bottom, and lots of soot on the outside, but it's still usable.

Once or twice my oven has smoked enough to set off the alarm, too. That's simply because I don't clean it very often, and occasionally I need to cook something that needs a higher temperature than normal - just over the threshold to start whatever-it-is smouldering. So now, whenever I use a temperature higher that normal, I open windows and the balcony door to keep the air fresh!

Comment

Back when I was 15 or so, I was hanging out at my one friend's place, and we decided to have a pizza and listen to some George Carlin while we were waiting.

We got so into listening and laughing that we forgot all about pizza, until about an hour later when my friend sprung up and yelled, "OH SHIT!" I had no idea what he was going on about until he ran downstairs and pulled out a very overdone pizza.

Funny thing, it wasn't too bad after we peeled the top layer off it.
                        Sometimes life is altered.
                        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                        Uneasy with confrontation.
                        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

This reminded me of when I was staying over at a friends house one night. We'd had chips from the chip shop the night before, and put the leftovers in their paper under the grill to reheat for dinner tomorrow. Morning comes, and he turned on the grill to make his toast, and walked off to make a coffee.

Apparently, paper doesn't like a lot of heat.

End result was flames galore, an unexpected alarm call for everyone else, and no dinner left for us later. The look on his face though whilst running outside with a grill pan full of flamng chips is an image that I'll not forget in a hurry.
                          "I'll probably come round and steal the food out of your fridge later too, then run a key down the side of your car as I walk away from your house, which I've idly set ablaze" - Mil Millington

Comment

I've done that before. Mom refuses to buy a coffeemaker, so we drink instant (yeah, yeah, I know), and more than once we've all put a cup of water in the microwave and either forgotten to turn it on, set it on the counter and never reached the microwave in the first place, or let the water boil and by the time we remember we put it in there, it's stone cold again. But it makes me really sad when I put ramen in and forget to turn the mic on
                            The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                              Back when I was 15 or so, I was hanging out at my one friend's place, and we decided to have a pizza and listen to some George Carlin while we were waiting.

We got so into listening and laughing that we forgot all about pizza, until about an hour later when my friend sprung up and yelled, "OH SHIT!" I had no idea what he was going on about until he ran downstairs and pulled out a very overdone pizza.

Funny thing, it wasn't too bad after we peeled the top layer off it.
                              I did this about three nights ago. The timer on the stove stopped itself and when I got up to check on it cause it had been about 15 minutes I thought...I was greeted by a very browned pizza. Mmmm
                              "But the pharmacy was here this morning...!"

Comment

Working...
                              X