This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mysterious Case of the Vanishing Car

I've taken a number of truly bizarre calls to my store over the years, but this is truly one of the greatest highlights of my experience in retail.

I picked up the phone one day, gave the standard, robotic greeting, and heard the following - this was such a memorable call that, despite it happening years ago, I remember almost verbatim:

Customer - "Uh, hi. Um, this is going to sound weird, but...I think I might have left my car in your parking lot."

Interesting, but this was most likely a prank call, and I decided to play along to kill some time.

Me: "Huh. Um, how can I help, then?"

Customer: "I've already called about four other stores in the area, but I think I just walked home and left the car somewhere, and I just want to make sure it doesn't get towed away.

The woman on the other line seemed in possession of her proper faculties, and did not seem inebriated in any way, so I continue, sure that it was some sort of prank.

Me: What kind of car is it, ma'm?

Customer: "It's a red *******, and the license plate is **********.

Now, despite every every fiber of my being telling me not to turn around and look, I turn and look....

No.

There is in fact a red ******* with that license plate number sitting in the parking lot. I look around to see if there are any people standing around, perhaps making a call from a cell phone. There are none in the vicinity; I even look hard at the bushes around the building, my search coming up empty. This call is legitimate.

Me: "I see it. Yeah, it's in the parking lot."

Customer: "Oh, thank god. You won't tow it? I am coming back for it, but it will take me a bit to walk back."

Me: "We will not tow it, ma'm. It will still be here when you get back.

The vehicle waited for its absent-minded owner to return for another hour, when the car disappeared from our lot. We had hoped to see the customer return for the car, but were denied that opportunity.

Now, I've had experienced where customers forget their keys, or even the electronic clickers that unlock them, but this was the only occasion where a customer forgot the two-thousand pound vehicle that brought her there in the first place. Once I realized that the call was real, it took an enormous amount of restraint not to laugh into the phone, but, my goodness...

Then I will just have to be embarrassed when I tell you I'ven done it.

I take the bus on occassion, when there's a basketball game going on--an arena across from where I work.

I left my car at a meter, and took the bus home.

I was disgusted with myself. Yes, I got a ticket.

Comment

add me with Can I help your A$$ to the list of people who have done that. I almost never drive to the Gateway mall (the parking garage is a royal PITA)... I've before gotten as far as the Central Pointe station before realizing that I drove to the mall rather than take the train
      more common though is for me to park at one store, walk to the next store, then panic when I don't see my car in the second cars lot
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

People lose cars more often than you might imagine.

A collegue and I spent a good 4 hours looking for a womans car when she said she left it suburb A. She in fact had left it it 2.5 miles in another direction, no wonder she couldn't find it!
        A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Huh, I had no idea that this was such a common occurrence. Perhaps I was being a bit harsh, but that was my first encounter with that type of incident, and I thought it was hilarious.

Comment

Quoth Shamus View Post
            Perhaps I was being a bit harsh, but that was my first encounter with that type of incident, and I thought it was hilarious.
            When I first dealt with it I thought wtf? It's like anything really you just get used to it!
            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

We had an experience like that in my family several years ago - I don't recall the exact details, but apparently my cousins's then-wife had parked next to the grocery store and walked home.......completely forgetting where she'd left the truck. When she finally realized that it wasn't parked in front of their house, "Myrna" got all panicky, assumed that someone had stolen the truck, and they were about ready to file a police report when she finally remembered that she'd left it at the grocery store.

Comment

I've done it (normally took the bus up to the uni; one day I drove and forgot, taking the bus all the way home before I had my "d'oh!" moment). My ex left his truck different places on a near-monthly basis for a while there. I got used to him coming home, setting down grocery bags, stopping, looking confused, then turning round and going back out without a word. About half an hour later I'd hear the truck pull in. And my sister also admits to having left her car at work more than once, walking almost all the way home before she too had that "d'oh!" moment. I think it's fairly easy to do if you often use transit, walk, or cycle to get places and taking the car is an exception.

(However, none of us ever called around to try to find the car. That would just be embarassing! )

Comment

I recently read about a case where someone stopped at the Angola service plaza on I90 in New York to use the washroom, came out of the building, and thought that his truck (18 wheels) had been stolen. He encountered another driver from the same company (big one - orange trucks), who asked him where he was headed. It turns out that he had left the building through the wrong exit.

Note that the Angola plaza is pretty much the only one I've seen where this is possible, since it serves both directions, with the parking lots on the right side of the highway and the building being accessed by pedestrian bridges from both lots. Other "2-direction" plazas (such as Hickory Run on the PA turnpike) have the 2 lots separated by a barrier (can see one lot from the other), and you enter the building through the same door regardless of which direction you're travelling..
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Stuff like this is why I always make sure to park on the side of my work, I have to walk right past the car to go home.
                    If it makes sense, it's not allowed™. -- BeckySunshine

I've heard of breaking wind but not breaking and entering wind. --- Sheldonrs

My gaming blog:Ghosts from the Black

Comment

When I was younger (in elementary school) I used to ride my bike to school. We had a field trip one day that my mom had chaperoned. Since I didn't want to take the bus back to school, I hopped in my mom's car and went home, completely forgetting about my bike.

When I realized that I had left it at school the next day, I went back and a bunch of vandals had ruined it They removed my awesome gel seat and replaced it with a seat where the fabric had been ripped off, so it was only the plastic left, and had completely bent my front tire. I guess since it was locked up and they couldn't take it, they felt the need to completely wreck a little kid's bike.

Comment

There's a chance the driver was so sloshed off their ass that they actually did lose the car while intoxicated.
                        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                          I recently read about a case where someone stopped at the Angola service plaza on I90 in New York to use the washroom, came out of the building, and thought that his truck (18 wheels) had been stolen. He encountered another driver from the same company (big one - orange trucks), who asked him where he was headed. It turns out that he had left the building through the wrong exit.

Note that the Angola plaza is pretty much the only one I've seen where this is possible, since it serves both directions, with the parking lots on the right side of the highway and the building being accessed by pedestrian bridges from both lots. Other "2-direction" plazas (such as Hickory Run on the PA turnpike) have the 2 lots separated by a barrier (can see one lot from the other), and you enter the building through the same door regardless of which direction you're travelling..

I worked at the Angola Service Plaza! That is so much more common than people think. Very recently a friend of mine and I went to eat at the Denny's there and when we left he wanted to go out the other exit thinking his car was that way. I had to tell him it was in the other direction. Quite amusing when you see someone enter, do whatever, leave out the wrong side, and then come back in and go out the right way.

Comment

I once lost my car in the parking lot of our local mall. There were probably 300 cars in the lot, and I think I walked around for about ten or fifteen minutes looking for my car. It wasn't until I looked at my car keys that I realised I was looking for the car we had traded in the week before (beige Toyota), and was now driving a black Nissan.

In my defense I was eight months pregnant at the time and getting very little sleep, so was a bit out of it. I should note that I also had to spend another five minutes looking for the new car, as all small black cars look alike to the sleep deprived.

Comment

Working...
                            X