This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OW, my brain!

I'm hoping this was a brain burp on the part of those involved in the conversation. If not...

I should know better than to pay any attention to anyone else in the laundromat, but, I still sometimes listen to the babble spewing forth from their mouths. Saturday, I happened to hear this gem:

Our players, all appear to be in their late 30's or early 40's:

W: The first woman I heard, who seemed to have a clue. At first.
    FSW: Film Snob Woman, W's friend.
    FSWB: Film Snob Woman's boyfriend
    Bolded Italics - my thoughts

I was folding my laundry next to the benches and happened to tune in on the word 'swashbuckling' because A) you don't hear it too often and B) I had been making a swashbuckler/dread pirate NPC for my D&D game while waiting for my clothes to dry.

W: blah blah blah swashbuckling movie, that I thought was reallyl good.

FSW: Swashbuckling? What's that?

W: Well, y'know, with a swashbuckler. Not the most helpful answer ever.

FSW: That's such an odd word, I've never heard that before. Probably because I don't watch any movies made after the 1950's. Anything later than that is just not worth watching.

FSWB: Oh, exactly. And there certainly wasn't any such thing as 'swatch bucklering' back then. It's swashbuckling, you idiot. And FYI, Errol Flynn is a classic swashbuckling star who's movies were made well before the 50's. You idiot.

W: Oh, right, I forget that. Ummm..well, a swashbuckler is like Captain Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean, or like, y'know, um, Zorro.

FSW: Oh, you mean with a sword? Like Tom Cruise's character in Top Gun?

W: Yes, exactly!

WHAT??? NO! Stupidity overload, stupidity overload! Abort eavesdrop! Abort, abort!

After that, I believe I blacked out due to my brain imploding on itself. This was either a major stupid moment on their part, or I really need to go rewatch Top Gun because I'd have sworn it was about fighter jets, not swords.

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
    FSW: Oh, you mean with a sword? Like Tom Cruise's character in Top Gun?

W: Yes, exactly!

WHAT??? NO! Stupidity overload, stupidity overload! Abort eavesdrop! Abort, abort!

After that, I believe I blacked out due to my brain imploding on itself. This was either a major stupid moment on their part, or I really need to go rewatch Top Gun because I'd have sworn it was about fighter jets, not swords.

And apparently, Top Gun was made before 1950.

I must say, Tom Cruise looks good for a guy in his 80's lol

Also, Geek question, Swashbuckling Dread Pirate?
    Don't Dread Pirates traditionally dual-wield and swashbuckling is only done with one sword?
    (Could be wrong, been awhile)
    <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

The explanation for the name I heard is that the swash is the sword, and the buckle is the buckler (small shield) in the off-hand for defence.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
        Also, Geek question, Swashbuckling Dread Pirate?
        Don't Dread Pirates traditionally dual-wield and swashbuckling is only done with one sword?
        (Could be wrong, been awhile)
        Geek/DM mode engaged

A dread pirate in no armor is treated as having the Two Weapon Fighting feat, but swashbuckling has more benefits and more flavor for my plotline. To be an effective two weapon fighter, you need more than just Two Weapon fighting.

Raps - I believe you are correct, sir.

Geek/DM mode disengaged

Comment

Geek/DM mode engaged

A dread pirate in no armor is treated as having the Two Weapon Fighting feat, but swashbuckling has more benefits and more flavor for my plotline. To be an effective two weapon fighter, you need more than just Two Weapon fighting.

Raps - I believe you are correct, sir.

Geek/DM mode disengaged
          ah ok, makes sense. I was just thinking that as long as he only used one sword he'd be fine, but the minute he swung his off-hand weapon he'd lose all his bonuses and be completely screwed.
          <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Sounds like a couple of derring doofuses. :-)
            "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Lingering Grin View Post
              And apparently, Top Gun was made before 1950.

I must say, Tom Cruise looks good for a guy in his 80's lol
              And how many 80-year-olds can muster up the energy to jump around on couches?
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Top Gun dealt with U.S. NAVAL aviation in the post-Vietnam era. If it had dealt with the USAF in the early 1950s, they would have been using Sabres.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Good point!

Comment

I once went to a highschool play Antigone (pronounced aunt tig oh knee)

a girl behind me was spouting of about anti gone... whos anti gone (saying it ant tea gone) omg who would name their kid anti gone. Sadly it was a girl in my CLASSICAL HISTORY class

you just cant help some prols... oh I mean people
                    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                      The explanation for the name I heard is that the swash is the sword, and the buckle is the buckler (small shield) in the off-hand for defence.

Rapscallion
                      Why am I not surprised that you know that Raps?
                      "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

Comment

Didn't Top Gun make it to the top of the list for most Homo-Errotic movie of all time? Maybe the swords are... umm... Biological

CH
                        Last edited by crashhelmet; 01-20-2009, 06:40 AM. Reason: I can't type for sh*t tonight
                        Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

Working...
                        X