This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not really sucky to me, but still annoying

I'm not posting this under sucky customers because it wasn't sucky to me, just annoying. Just makes me wonder how some people function. So, yesterday, the following story happened to me....

I was running the shift by myself, and I'm pretty good at keeping a line at the register moving even though it wears on my nerves quickly.

So, the time is approaching the end of my shift. The afternoon rush always starts around shift change. No matter what time day shift ends, it's like the customer swarm senses it. I'm waiting for the second shift clerk to arrive so I can begin shift change procedures, and fighting against the emerging customer crowd. The phone rings. I have a line five customers deep. The manager was gone to the main office, and the assistant manager was ready getting the daily deposit ready to go to the bank.

I answer the phone with my standard "C-store name (in my usual annoyed with the phone because I'm busy and this call is probably going to be something stupid tone)."

A woman on the other end, "Hold on a minute!"

I hang up and go back to my growing line of customers, hoping I can get rid of everyone long enough to do shift change once the second shift relief arrives.

The assistant manager steps out to verify the safe. The phone rings again. She tells me she'll answer, so I hand it off to her. She goes back into the office. A few minutes later, she comes out laughing.

I look at her in puzzlement, "What's so funny?"

She told me that the person on the phone was the same dingbat that called me. She wanted to express her dismay that I was so rude and inconsiderate to hang up on her. She just asked me to hang on a minute.

"Yeah, and I was busy. I didn't have time for that crap."

"Yeah, I know. I think it's funny. You don't just call a place of business, and then tell them to hold on a minute."

The way I see it, they need to be ready to shit or get off the pot if they're calling me. Had she called my personal phone, I'd have probably made some insulting or smartass comment before hanging up. That dingbat was lucky it was the work phone, or she'd have gotten an earful before I hung up.

Later, the manager returned, and we told her that I was rude and inconsiderate. I "needed to learn some manners on the phone," as the dingbat told the AM. The manager just laughed and said the same thing, "You don't just call a place of business, and then try to put them on hold.

Like I said, I don't consider it sucky so much as stupid and a bit amusing.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy
Working...
X