X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From a patient the other day.

*Partially brain burpy, partially just dumb*

I was helping a pt who had hand surgery, set around his breakfast so that he would he would be able to eat.

Patient: *looks over tray* I want some juice. I dont see it.
    Me: Ok, what kind?
    Pt: I dont know... what kind is there?
    Me: Well, theres pineapple, orange, cranberry?
    Pt: No, its kinda like grape juice but its not.
    Me: But its not what?
    Pt: Its not grape juice.
    Me: Oook. So, apple juice? *no idea how I figured that one out..lol*
    Pt: Yeah, thats it!!! Do you have the big bottles?
    Me: Just the smaller 4oz servings like this one here. *waves OJ in my hand*
    Pt: O, ok. Can I have like 8 or 9 of them then?
    Me: No sir, you are diabetic.. Any fruit juice is high in sugar content.
    Pt. But I drink it like that at home.
    Me: I realize that, but not while your here under my care. Plus Im going to have to come in here later and give you a huge syringe full of isulin, and we both know how that turned out yesterday. *he had yelled at me the day before..lol*
    Pt: *stink face*
    Me: Let me know if theres anything I can get ya!!! *cheerily bounces out the room*

Drinking juice like that at home, is part of the reason youre here, buddy. Along with both hands being covered in cat scratches/bites, a piece of glass in your foot and going blind in your right eye, lest we forget. I dont know if this was a brain burp or just an instance of not caring.

Quoth Amina516 View Post
    Plus Im going to have to come in here later and give you a huge syringe full of isulin, and we both know how that turned out yesterday.
    Completely, and utterly pwned!

I really don't know how nurses cope with all the sheer idiocy they have to deal with on a daily basis...
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I used to work as a personal assistant to an old guy who was diabetic. He would always insist on having icecream for dessert with cola sause. I would refuse to give it to him. He would complain that he was in charge and it was his decision...

He ended up having a stroke thanks to not taking care of his health and I told him "I told you so" and he didn't like that. I couldn't take it anymore and got a new job but really, if you're diabetic why are you eating icecream and cola sauce???
      It's been a long, long, long, long time...

Comment

Quoth chinashirtgirl View Post
        I used to work as a personal assistant to an old guy who was diabetic. He would always insist on having icecream for dessert with cola sause. I would refuse to give it to him. He would complain that he was in charge and it was his decision...

He ended up having a stroke thanks to not taking care of his health and I told him "I told you so" and he didn't like that. I couldn't take it anymore and got a new job but really, if you're diabetic why are you eating icecream and cola sauce???
        Whats cola sauce?!?!

Sadly, I had that guy again this week and he began by asking me for 4 extra cartons of milk.....Uh, I dont think so!!! He is supposed to be getting out of the hospital soon, so I do wish him the best. But its frustrating caring for someone who refuses to care for themselves.

Comment

My dad is one of those kinds of diabetics. He's eats terribly and then complains of not feeling well.
          "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

if you're diabetic why are you eating icecream and cola sauce???
            actually, there is nothing wrong with being diabetic and occasionally having a treat like ice cream etc... the problem is when occasionally means every day, and it's on top of eating a whole bunch of other crap that you shouldn't be having, and... well you get the idea.. it sounds like though the patient in the OP is the type who honestly just doesn't give a crap.
            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
              it sounds like though the patient in the OP is the type who honestly just doesn't give a crap.
              Yep, he didnt. lol.

You can only do so much for a person before they have to help themselves.

And Id be sad if I couldnt eat ice cream when I wanted. I LOVE ice cream.

Comment

Working...
              X