This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please be joking.

OK, for those who aren't aware, I now work as a relay operator. Basic gist of the job, deaf person types to us, we repeat to hearing user, hearing user speaks to us, we type to deaf user. The same premise can be used for automated menus. Anyway, last night I had this gem.

Going through an automated menu, I typed out the entire menu, at the end it said "to repeat this menu, please press 9"... the deaf user, who had the entire text transcript of what had been said, asked me to please press 9 for him
    I have seen both sides of our software, and I know that their side keeps the transcript of the entire conversation until the session is closed... how can you need something repeated
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Quoth KaySquirrel View Post
    Otherwise I'm too! Any chance they could have been using a TTY/TDD machine that didn't use your software?
    not possible, the only three ways to use our service is using our mobile software on a smartphone, using our software on a computer, or adding us as a contact on AIM... all three keep a running transcript on their end until the session is completed.
    If they were to attempt to use anything else all I would hear is a very annoying and very loud screeching noise in my headset that makes me want to reach through the phone lines and slap the hell out of them.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
      Going through an automated menu, I typed out the entire menu, at the end it said "to repeat this menu, please press 9"... the deaf user, who had the entire text transcript of what had been said, asked me to please press 9 for him
      Can't you just copy and paste the text that you'd already typed? Save yourself the effort of having to fingerbone it all in again.

Of course if he no savvy scrolling, it could be that the reason he asked for a repeat was because it all scrolled up past the top of his device, and cut&paste will just cause the same thing to happen again.

Comment

I didn't know we still had phone relay operators! I thought the deaf community had gone the way of VRS. I have two friends who are CODA's and they both work for interpreting services and have to work with VRS pretty much every day.

Many moons ago, I was a receptionist for a major captioning company and I loved working with the relay operators in our state. They were quick to explain to the hearing how the service worked and very (VERY!) patient with those that didn't get it right away.

Comment

Regarding copy/pasting, please don't take me badly and hate me for being a stickler, but you can't prejudge, you have to follow the instructions. What if for example the deaf user is a programmer for the IVR and is testing wherever a certain change in the menu occurs when you repeat it?
          I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Actually, VRS is taking off quite a bit, that said, there is something to be said about being able to use IP anywhere with a smartphone or any computer with internet access rather than needing a specif set up.

And as for copy and paste, as much as I'd love to do that, it is policy that we must relay as instructed and if the person really wants us to hit the "repeat this menu" button and retype everything (which in my case normally means re-ASR it ), we have to do it... we are their voice and ears, we can't decide when to be selective on what to say our hear.

Comment

I remember the old days of the "single screen" TTY's with no "back" button and when phone trees first became available it was a horror to try to write down what the options were before they scrolled off the screen. Some TTY's could type out what was being said, but I didn't have one with that option.

VRS is becoming more prevalent, but there are still a lot of people who are deaf and can't/don't sign.
              The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth neecy View Post
                I remember the old days of the "single screen" TTY's with no "back" button and when phone trees first became available it was a horror to try to write down what the options were before they scrolled off the screen. .
                So it is possible that they are just used to it not being an option and ask out of habit... I hadn't thought of that... I'm one of those damned youngens who doesn't realize that there used to be a time before cell phones and high speed internet

Comment

Quoth neecy View Post
                  VRS is becoming more prevalent, but there are still a lot of people who are deaf and can't/don't sign.
                  You know, I hadn't thought of that. I should have. The CODA's I mentioned earlier? Their dad was raised using ASL, as his brother is also deaf, but he didn't learn to speak until he went to Gallaudet where he met their mom. She lost her hearing due to scarlet fever (I think) and was raised speaking and was actively discouraged from signing at all (so house sign was just between her sibs/friends and her) and used to speak fairly well. Didn't learn ASL until she went to Gallaudet. The whole family is a real hoot! I love spending time with them.

Comment

Working...
                  X