X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "What direction does I25 North go?"

This happened yesterday at work.

Guy drives up & temporarily parks the car he is driving in front of the Visitor Parking booth & walks up to the booth window. Also, it is raining outside.

Me: "Hi, how may I help you?"
    Guy: *points toward I25 North*: "Is that I25 North?"
    Me: "Yes"
    Guy: "What direction does it go?"
    Me: "North"
    Guy: *embarrassed; smiles* "I mean does it go to Blueridge Mall?"
    Me: "Yes"
    Guy: "Ok, thanks"

He gets in his car & leaves.

"What direction does I25 North go?"

"east."
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post

"east."
      Actually, it does happen. My Dad kept a little compass on his dashboard, and loved road trips. We did a lot of cross country traveling when I was a kid, and I recall him pointing out once that we were on (dont recall the number) I## West, but on the compass, we were actually headed south.

My Dad was something else, years after the fact he would refer to a specific trip we took, event that happened, etc. by route number - as in, remember that little museum we stopped in on hwy 77 that summer? I can't even remember the numbers of hwys I drive every day, LOL. I always had to just look at him blankly and tell him cmon, at least give me the state name, LOL.

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Thinking about it, you could have also said "South" and be right...

... or "Half the road goes North, the other half goes South."

"Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
          I## West, but on the compass, we were actually headed south.
          It's called a correction line. In Alberta, they're used to prevent major roads cutting through farmers' land, but other places it's done to save on construction costs by following flatter land, or for various other reasons. Sometimes it's also just because one road flows to the next, and they need to pick a point to rename it.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post

"east."
            Corollary:

"up."
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

OK, here's another one: Near Wytheville VA, what direction does I81 North go? Also near Wytheville VA, what direction does I77 North go?

First question: West
              Second question: East

From Wytheville to Fort Chiswell (only a few miles), I81 and I77 occupy the same piece of concrete - except I81 North is also I77 South. Both interstates are pretty much diagonal, and that short stretch of road is where they cross.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Here in Jersey we get a similar question a lot. You see there is a section of I295 N that turns into I95 S and most out of staters get so confused by this. Then throw in the fact that the road actually runs east/west, well, yeah it gets pretty darn confusing.

Comment

Ya, there is a section of Interstate 64 here that loops around, so 64 West actually heads east, and 64 East goes west.
                  you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

north and south on highway names is actually only because they have odd numbers.

East and wast are the same way except they are even numbers...so I26 E actually may physically go north/south but the number it is says it must be an east/west sign direction.

please don't ask why they did it this way...I don't know
                    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

You could always try our roads here...From where I am, you have to go SOUTH along I-10 EAST in order to reach the WEST Bank of the river...

Confuses the hell outta some people.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

You laugh but I go South on I35 East every morning.

Comment

Q: "What direction does I25 North go?"

A: "Sideways."
                          [/sarcasm]

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          You could always try our roads here...From where I am, you have to go SOUTH along I-10 EAST in order to reach the WEST Bank of the river...
                          .......... Wow.
                          There seem to be a lot of highways that don't follow their north/south or east/west descriptions.
                          (There's actually one sort of close to Los Angeles that does that, but I'm not quite sure which one.)

I wonder how more people don't get lost because of things like that.
                          1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                          -----
                          http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

There's a highway near Oakland, CA (I think) that carries two interstates at one time. One's signed as North and the other South. So, you're going both directions at once.

(Can any CA CS'ers confirm? It's been 10 years or so since I've been out there and I can't remember exactly what/where it is.)

Comment

Quoth Lachrymose View Post
                              There's a highway near Oakland, CA (I think) that carries two interstates at one time. One's signed as North and the other South. So, you're going both directions at once.

(Can any CA CS'ers confirm? It's been 10 years or so since I've been out there and I can't remember exactly what/where it is.)
                              I'd read that the I77/I81 stretch near Wytheville was the only "opposite directions" piece in the whole interstate system - would be interesting to find out if there's another. BTW, I'm from Ontario CA but have never been within a hundred miles of Los Angeles ("namespace collision" in postal abbreviations).
                              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X