This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safes aren't portable

It Weighs 32 Pounds....Where Were You Planning to Lug It?

This happened on Saturday night. I was not having a good day, and this woman was one of my last customers. I wanted to strangle her. And yes, I was kinda sucky to her.

She was looking at what's left of our safe section. For some reason, the plano change pulled all but one of the displays.

First of all, she simply couldn't communicate what she wanted. She kept saying she wanted a "simple cash box" but she was looking at SAFES. This conversation may not seem particularly sucky just reading it here, but you could tell just by listening to her that she wasn't quite all there intellectually speaking, and it drove me nuts.

She looks at the one remaining display.

SC: How big is that inside?

Me: Half a cubic foot.

SC: Can I see it?

Me: OK. *pulls down display so she can see the inside*

SC: Oh...there's no thing to carry it with?

You mean a handle?

Me: No, there isn't. Did you need to take this with you somewhere?

SC: Huh?

Me: Are you going to be leaving this at home or do you need it to be portable?

SC: No, it's just going to stay in one place.

Me: They you really don't need a handle. Besides, this weighs 32 pounds and isn't MEANT to be portable.

Then she starts looking at a different one.

SC: How big is this inside?

Me (reading from the box): 0.2 cubic feet.

SC: So it's smaller than the other one?

Me: Yes.

SC: Then why is it $99 when the other one is $37???

I hate this kind of question. I hate it more than oil hates water. The price is the price. I don't set it or control it, and most of the time I have no clue why any given item is more or less expensive than another similar item. Thankfully, I knew the answer this time.

Me: Well, this one has an electronic lock, and the other one just uses a key.

SC: Oh........can I see the inside?

Me: I'm sorry, but it's a sealed package.

SC: Well.....*running her fingernail along the tape*...it's just tape. You could always retape it.

Arguably, this was a reasonable request.....but I was already in bad mood and this woman was already driving me nuts. So I leveled with her.

Me: I'm sorry, but the problem is that once I do that, everyone's going to assume it was returned and is going to ask me for a discount, so I can't do it.

SC: So I can't see it?

Me: No, sorry

(Totally broke the rules there. "Never say no to a customer.....")

So then she goes back to looking at the first one.

SC: Oh, this one doesn't have a thing to carry it.....

Oh come on, this again? The word is HANDLE, and in the minute or so since you last made that observation, you managed to forget?

I was just about ready to explode at this point. Like I said, I was having a bad night to start with, and I just could not take this woman's stupidity.

Me: Is there anything else you need?

SC: No.

I quickly excused myself to the back room so I could grab my head and keep it from exploding.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Generally, NOT being portable is one of the main purposes of a safe. One of the stores I used to work in had that problem: someone broke in during the night and tried to get into the safe. They didn't succeed, but damaged it badly enough that no one else could get in either. So, to be able to open for business, they borrowed a couple of tills from a sister store and bought a safe like the one you're describing, for temporary use. That night, whoever had broken in did it again, and simply took the portable safe, money and all.
    Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

There's no such thing as a "portable safe". IF there was then that would negate all the posiitives in having a safe to begin with. Somebody could just take it & open it at their leisure.

Comment

I might create a line of portable safes and name them....Unsafes.
        I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

That said I can see the usefulness of a safe that comes with a secure docking station that can be detached and transported to another docking station. You'd just have to make sure the locks for the docking station were as good as the safe's locks
          "You can only try so hard to look like you are working before actually doing your work seems easy in comparison" -My Boss

CW: So what exactly do you do in retentions?
          Me: ummm, I ....retent stuff?

Comment

Actually, portable safes do exist, they're called Armoured Cars
            I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

sure they're portable. just put a handle on it.

in the navy if it has a handle on it, it's portable. it might require a 2 man lift but it's portable.

except the safes. those are welded to the deck and bulkhead.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                There's no such thing as a "portable safe". IF there was then that would negate all the posiitives in having a safe to begin with. Somebody could just take it & open it at their leisure.
                Well, yeah, they will (and did). But there are such things, whether they actually have handles or not. If a safe only weighs 30 pounds or so and isn't fastened down, it's portable whether it has a handle or not.
                Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  sure they're portable. just put a handle on it.

in the navy if it has a handle on it, it's portable. it might require a 2 man lift but it's portable.

except the safes. those are welded to the deck and bulkhead.
                  My rack had a handle. I didn't find it very portable. Even with two men.

Comment

Quoth Jack View Post
                    My rack had a handle. I didn't find it very portable. Even with two men.
                    The mind frame I can walk into now is rather dirty.

But with safes, I like the one my parents showed me a while ago in a store. Heavier than anything I've seen and hard to get into even with the combo and key.
                    People are dunderheaded fools. I weep that Darwin's Natural Selection is frowned upon.

Comment

The place I worked right out of college had a portable tape recorder unit. It weighted 200 pounds and had four big eyebolts on the top for moving it.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                        The place I worked right out of college had a portable tape recorder unit. It weighted 200 pounds and had four big eyebolts on the top for moving it.
                        Am I reading that right?

A 200 pound TAPE RECORDER?

Am I too far off the mark to guess that it's one of those huge honkin 'records two years worth withoutstopping' things? >.>

Comment

Quoth Sunflash View Post
                          Am I reading that right?

A 200 pound TAPE RECORDER?

Am I too far off the mark to guess that it's one of those huge honkin 'records two years worth withoutstopping' things? >.>
                          Yes indeed, you read that right. This was a data recorder, pre-computer, in a military application in 1971. Recording has gotten a bit more efficient since then.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Of course, milspec has a very idiosyncratic definition of "portable".

"Man portable" means "we can strap it to a Marine's back with less than an hour's preparation, and the Marine will still be able to stand up afterwards".

Just plain "portable" means "we'll need more than one Marine, and possibly heavy equipment".

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                              I might create a line of portable safes and name them....Unsafes.
                              Good thing I wasn't drinking my OJ just then!
                              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                              X